The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   halter w/ clip on reins vs. bitless bridle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/halter-w-clip-reins-vs-bitless-79015/)

Goodbye13lueSky 02-20-2011 05:22 PM

halter w/ clip on reins vs. bitless bridle

What would the differences be? Besides aesthetics.

RATHER BE RIDING 02-20-2011 05:59 PM

A bitless bridle usually has a part to the bridle that crosses under the horse's cheeks and attaches to the reins. That way when you pull on the left rein, pressure is also applied to the right side of the horses head to "push" his head to the left. It also applies pressure to the top of the head when you pull back on both reins, which I have seen referred to as a "hug" effect and is suppose to help with stopping.

A side pull is exactly like a halter with clip on reins. I personally like the side pulls better. A plain leather one, that is just like a halter, is only better in that a halter may not fit high enough up on the horses nose and the metal pieces may hit him in a sensitive area of the face and the side pull fits a little snugger then a halter and does not slide around as much. I have never used the ones with the single or double rope nose bands or the rope halters with knots.

Hope this helps.

Goodbye13lueSky 02-20-2011 06:08 PM

Thank you! That makes sense.

Saddlebag 02-21-2011 01:44 PM

A bitless bridle also has a scissoring action under the jaw.

Goodbye13lueSky 02-21-2011 02:49 PM

not the side-pull kind?

RATHER BE RIDING 02-21-2011 10:38 PM

Side pulls do not have any scissoring action. They are basically halters made to look like bridle. This is an example of a plain leather one: Billy RoyalŪ Rolled Nose Leather Side Pull in Sidepulls at Schneider Saddlery or you can get them with rope nose bands Side Pull Hackamore - Horse.com. There are a lot of different styles. If you type in Dr. Cooks bitless, you will learn more then you ever wanted to on the bitless bridles, but you will also see a lot of pros and cons.

luvs2ride1979 02-22-2011 08:18 AM

I ride in a halter w/clip reins at time in our arena or in the pastures, but for trail riding I don't think I would trust it. A side pull gives you a little more "umph" and it doesn't move around on the horse's head like a halter can. I use a cross-under style bitless for trail riding, similar to the Cook bridle.

bsms 02-22-2011 08:52 AM

Here is what I use:

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9...1803bridle.jpg

It works OK, but you obviously have less force available than with a bit. I tried one with the cross-under-the-jaw thing, but didn't like it because it didn't release consistently.

One like this runs around $20-25 on ebay. If it didn't work for you, it remains a perfectly good halter.

Goodbye13lueSky 02-22-2011 09:24 AM

Hm, looks pretty easy to make, even. Cute horse!

mls 02-22-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsms (Post 936803)
Here is what I use:

It works OK, but you obviously have less force available than with a bit. I tried one with the cross-under-the-jaw thing, but didn't like it because it didn't release consistently.

One like this runs around $20-25 on ebay. If it didn't work for you, it remains a perfectly good halter.

I would not use this particular set up. Look at where the contact is? The the nose and side pieces are creeping up to the eye. The contact underneath has moved up the jowl. In order for this to be effective, the main unit (halter, headstall) must stay in place for consistent signals to the horse.