The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Conformation Critique on a TB (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/conformation-critique-tb-79032/)

haleylvsshammy 02-20-2011 09:44 PM

Conformation Critique on a TB

10 Attachment(s)
Hello! This is my thoroughbred, Shamado. He is 14 years old and 17.2hh. I tried to get the best pictures that I could, so I hope these are satisfactory. Say what you have to say (but I'd appreciate some positive as well as negative :D)

I know he has a goose rump, doesn't have the best pasterns and is over at the knee, is there anything else that is glaring?

Sorry if the front view pics are taken a bit to the side, it's difficult when your horse either wants to follow you, or eat the camera!

The first two are of his left side, followed by his rump for three pics, then three of his front and the last two are of his right side.
*Please excuse his grossness, it had just rained and he rolled*

Thanks!

PintoTess 02-20-2011 10:11 PM

He has a strange back, a very short one at that.

QHDragon 02-20-2011 10:13 PM

I agree, he actually looks like he has a minor roach back.

PintoTess 02-20-2011 10:33 PM

Thats what its called! I couldn't remember.

QHDragon 02-20-2011 11:29 PM

Yeah. Thankfully this guy doesn't look that bad, however saddle fitting may be a challenge. It also may be more difficult (or impossible) for this horse to round and do any true collection for work such as dressage. I would also consult a knowledgeable chiropractor or vet if you decide you want to jump this horse, just to be on the safe side.

equiniphile 02-20-2011 11:31 PM

He has a bad roach back, but is otherwise okay.

tinyliny 02-20-2011 11:34 PM

Tremendously long and sloping pelvic line and very long gaskin. Very nice withers to back connection and lovely long neck, long shoulder and long forearm too. He looks like he can jump.

RedTree 02-20-2011 11:56 PM

he doesn't look roached back?
My eyes are in experiamced though and I just did a google search on it.
Roach back it when the spine goes upwards, he just look like he has a short back...
Unless it's ever so slight....
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone

PintoTess 02-21-2011 04:37 AM

I think that you mean Sway backed where the spine goes up (has a big dip in it).

haleylvsshammy 02-21-2011 12:17 PM

QHDragon- dressage has never really been his thing, we are working on him rounding and collecting a little more, and he's doing wonderfully. He will never be a top dressage horse, though!

tinyliny- man he can jump! I think it's his favorite thing to do! He gets a little excited when he does it though! And he is super comfy.