The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Can you tell me what this is on my horse's heel? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/can-you-tell-me-what-my-79047/)

megande2391 02-21-2011 05:12 AM

Can you tell me what this is on my horse's heel?

Hi all!

I would be really grateful if you could help me with this... Please see the picture.

Please note that I had put cream on it before I took the picture!

The nodules are dirty and very hard and after I tried to soften them with warm water the softest ones came off but then started to bleed.

I have a feeling it is just something fungal?

The horse dosen't have access to stand in any kind of water though.

I am more than happy to answer and more questions that could help!

Thanks!!

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9582/photo1285.jpg

MaggiStar 02-21-2011 08:02 AM

looks like mud fever to me try get a picture without the cream though

MN Tigerstripes 02-21-2011 10:45 AM

Looks like scratches, which I believe is the same thing as mud fever.

starlinestables 02-21-2011 11:13 AM

That would be scratches. It is fungal... they can get it from the dew on the grass. MTG or another anti fungal will work to clear it up.

luvs2ride1979 02-21-2011 12:38 PM

Yup, a skin infection of some sort. Keep the horse in a dry area until you can clear it up. If his turn out is muddy, try to bring him up on dry ground daily until the area is dry, and leave him in the dry area for at least an hour or two more, to let the medication work on the skin.

You can use some waterproof spray bandage to help protect it from moisture when he's back in his turnout, but the area needs to be shaved, cleaned, and 100% dry before applying it.

mls 02-21-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979 (Post 935731)
You can use some waterproof spray bandage to help protect it from moisture when he's back in his turnout, but the area needs to be shaved, cleaned, and 100% dry before applying it.

Actually the waterproof spray would slow the healing. Once the scabs are off and air can get to the area, they will dry and heal moer quickly.

luvs2ride1979 02-21-2011 01:25 PM

But it won't heal quickly if the horse is living in wet/muddy conditions. Air can't get to it if the feet are covered in mud or always stepping in water/muck. A spray bandage would at least help keep more moisture from getting in.

PaintedBones 02-23-2011 09:09 PM

Most spray bandages let wounds breathe but it is IMPERATIVE that the area is completely dry before putting anything on it.

I use WellHorse for stuff like this. All natural, works on wounds, bacterial and fungal stuff. Pricey, but works great!!

www.well-horse.com

PB

Tabbi Kat 02-23-2011 09:20 PM

luvs2ride1979, the OP said "The horse dosen't have access to stand in any kind of water though."

myhorsesonador 02-23-2011 09:59 PM

this might sound really silly but the pink SWAT is really good for takeing scabs off without causeing bleeding. after the scab come off I would just was it with an antifungle soap. Dab it dry then let it air out. or put a it of MTG. But I would just let it air out, but thats just me.