The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Need help - Vit/Min Supplement (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/need-help-vit-min-supplement-79066/)

DubyaS6 02-21-2011 01:26 PM

Need help - Vit/Min Supplement

Hey guys, so I want to start feeding my mare a vit/min supplement.

Grand Vite was recommended to me as she is now on a diet of alfalfa pellets with free choice coastal during the day.

Problem is, I CANNOT find this stuff locally to me! I dont want to order online - I just dont.

Can someone either help me find it locally (76118 zip) OR recommend another vit/min supplement that won't cost me an arm or a leg (I would prefer not to spend more than the Grand Vite would cost)?

EternalSun 02-21-2011 01:55 PM

We feed this to all of the horses at the barn I manage and I love it. It's pretty cheap and came highly recommended by the vet. It's also very palatable, I don't have any issue getting any horses to eat it.

Ultra-Elite Pro-Form - Horse Multi-Vitamin Supplements from SmartPak Equine

Left Hand Percherons 02-22-2011 10:59 AM

What about the Grand Vite do you like/need? People always overlook the loose vit/minerals. Your feed mill might package their blend that is formulated for the known shortages in your area. My 2 favorite "national" brands are Progressive Nutrition grass mineral (19% Ca, 6% P, 88,000 IU Vit A and 1,400 IU Vit E) and GroStrong (16% Ca, 8%P, 300,000 IU Vit A and 850 IU Vit E). They work out to less than $.25 per 2 oz portion compared to $1 per portion of the GV.

DubyaS6 02-22-2011 11:02 AM

Ya know, I actually think I used to feed the GroStrong to my horses waaaaay back in the day...

Let me look into this...

I did the online "assesment" or whatever you call it from SmartPak and they recommended SmartVite Maintenance Alfalfa Pellets. Any thoughts on these? I do like how they are "formulated" for her alfalfa pellet diet...

luvs2ride1979 02-25-2011 08:17 AM

I order mine online. I get a custom blend from Uckele Equine Nutrition. They also have off the shelf products. Horsetech.com has a great product called High Point. Their prices all include shipping.

Is your horse only on pellets, or does she get hay as well? If she gets less than 8lbs of alfalfa pellets daily, then you do not need an alfalfa balanced vitamin supplement.

ADM has a good product called StayStrong Metabolic Minerals. It has GroStrong minerals plus added vitamins to balance a horse's diet without the use of grains or feeds. I used it for a while with good results, but it was hard for me to get. I don't have a local store that sells ADM products unfortunately.

It looks like there are three different stores near you that carry ADM products. You might call them and ask if they have StaySTRONG or can order it for you. It's very affordable to feed as well as you only feed about 1 lb a day per-horse.

MCDONNELL BUILDING MATERIALS C
600 N MAIN
KELLER, TX 76248 10 miles
817 431-3551
mcdonnellfeed@gmAil.com

ALVARADO FEED & SEED INC
1209 S PARKWAY
ALVARADO, TX 76009 26 miles
817 783-8561

JOSHUA FEED STORE
520 S BROADWAY
JOSHUA, TX 76058 27 miles
817 558-3444
j-pet@sbcglobal.net

DubyaS6 02-28-2011 08:11 AM

Hi thank you soo much for the help.

She is currently getting about 12lbs a day of the alfalfa pellets as we are trying to put some weight on her (which I am happy to report that she is gaining!).

She also has access to free choice coastal hay during the day.

Saddlebag 03-03-2011 09:23 PM

Did your vet suggest you feed this? It can take up to six weeks to get appreciable weight on a horse. Will the supplement be in correct balance with what the vitamins and minerals in what you are already feeding? You could just be making expensive poop.

Peggysue 03-04-2011 07:09 AM

Kent's Topline12
Kent Feeds | Dealer Locator=

DubyaS6 03-04-2011 08:28 AM

Saddlebag-

She is only getting straight alfalfa pellets. There is nothing added to them, no added vitamins and minerals, which is why I am looking for a sort of multi-vitamin type supplement if you will. One based for alfalfa diets :)

I just went with SmartPak's SmartVite Maintenence Alfalfa Pellets.

Thanks!

ETA-

Regarding her weight, I could agree with you on the time needed to put "good" weight on a horse, however previously she was only getting about 6lbs of a lower quality grain a day. A - she wasnt getting a good quality feed B - she wasnt getting enough to gain any weight C - she is already a relatively hard keeper

starlinestables 03-06-2011 10:49 AM

Dubya, I'm not far from you at all! I also live in the Ft. Worth area... You can get Grandvite at McDonnell's Building Supply, which is the closest. Tesky's in weatherford has alot to choose from as well. I can give you a list of supply places if you'd like.

I would add a ration balancer (Purina Enrich 12 since she is already getting alot of protein from the alfalfa) and perhaps a fat supplement like veggie oil(cheap) or a flax based fat supplement which is more expensive.