The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How much for 60 days training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-much-60-days-training-79113/)

Whisper22 02-22-2011 01:45 AM

How much for 60 days training

I have two horses that are ready to move on with their training. My husband and I wanted to do most of it ourselves but we have reached a point where we are just not experienced enough to go any further and finally have the money to seek outside help. I was wandering what you would pay for 60 days of training to start under saddle and work out those beginner issues. I'm just tryingn to get an idea of what to look for. What might be a red flag because it's too low or a rip off because it's too high.
Our horses have no major behavioral problems and already take a saddle and bit, have just never had a rider. For a professional I don't see them being a whole lot of work, we just want someone who can put in the time in the saddle. So what price would you expect to pay?

Brookside Stables 02-22-2011 04:13 AM

It depends on your location, what discipline you want the horses started under and the resume of the Trainer.

In Iowa you are looking at $700-$800 per month for a Nationally ranked Trainer who is currently competing in the discplines they train. These Trainers will normally not take a horse for less then 3 months as it takes that long to get a decent start. Also be cautious when scheduling with them, don't put your horse in training with them during major competitions, your horse wont be a priority to the show horses.

If you are looking for an overall Trainer who has a good reputation of starting horses regardless of discpline, you are looking at $500-600 per month. These Trainers will show at local shows and are in good standing with area organizations. Best way to interview these Trainers is to see horses they have started. Is the training consistant to what they are telling you?

So before looking for a Trainer, decide what you want out of the training. Once you have that decided, start looking for Trainers who can offer that. Good Luck!

Whisper22 02-22-2011 10:51 AM

One is only going to be a trail horse for my husband and the other I would like to eventually use for barrels but I don't expect the trainer to do that at this time. I really just want them to be rideable and have any buck they might have in them taken out. I live in Arizona and trainers are easy to come by, but that's the problem. There are so many and the prices vary. I was actually looking for someone a little more low key than a nationally ranked trainer. Someone who has a lot of experience but does it more as a hobby or a small training facility. The $500-$600 a month seems more like what I'm looking for.
Thank you for your help.

horsplay 02-22-2011 10:57 AM

Where in AZ are you? I used to live in Az and depeding on your area I may be able to use a connection or two to help...

nrhareiner 02-22-2011 11:02 AM

Depends on location and discipline. Do your research and get a good trainer. I like to use trainers with a proven track record that I can verify with an out side source. This takes some of the guess work out of it and some of the objective part out of it.

With horse training 9 times out of 10 you get what you pay for. The better the trainer the more they are going to charge b/c of the number of clients they have. If a trainer only charges a few hundred and has only 1 or 2 horses if that in their barn for training ask yourself why?

My2Geldings 02-22-2011 11:03 AM

You know it really depends on your area, and the trainer itself. A few years ago, I paid 950/month for 4 training rides and board. The trainer, was actually my old trainer. It was actually a very good deal considering she competes with her own home bred GP stadium horses and taught more advanced riders and horses.
I know some local western showing trainers, charge a little less than that for the same amount of training rides. I think it all has to do with how settled the trainer is with their own riding and showing and how much they've achieved. The more advanced the trainer, the more expensive it will be.

TheLovedOne 02-22-2011 11:24 AM

I would say that the best way to decide is to go and watch them working the horses for the morning and look at the horses that they've recently started to get an idea of what you should expect. I think the price range for training is probably going to be pretty consistent in any given area but what you get may vary tremendously. I don't think it's a bad sign if someone only works with a few horses at a time it could mean they'll get more attention.

I hope you find someone good and there is also a new website ratemyhorsepro.com that you can check to see if any trainers you're considering have been rated.

Whisper22 02-22-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsplay (Post 936929)
Where in AZ are you? I used to live in Az and depeding on your area I may be able to use a connection or two to help...

I live in Mesa and my horses are in Queen Creek so anywhere in the east to south east valley would be best. I also only have $1000 for the both of them. Thank you for anything you might be able to come up with.

BackInTheSaddleAgain 02-22-2011 11:32 AM

I paid $1200 for 60 days and that included feed. I got completely ripped off, though. For THREE WEEKS of that time, the trainer had my mare hitched up with a bit. That's it! THREE WEEKS! I could have done that myself! That is just one of my complaints. I know how to train, but paying a trainer to help due to my lack of courage is worth $600 a month.... if they do their job! Harrumph. What a waist. lol

horsplay 02-22-2011 11:33 AM

most of my connections are in the chino valley area and the white mountains but I'll see if my aunt in Queen creek knows of anyone.