The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

confirmation critique

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Tabbi Kat 
#1 ·
i've never asked anyone what they've thought of cameo's confirmation so i'm doing this for fun:) cameo is a 15 year old blm mustang mare. i know these aren't the greatest of photos but it's all i have at the moment. tomorrow i will take and post photos of the front and back shots of her.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I am not great at critiques, but I'll give it a go. In some shots it looks like her pasterns are very short. I think her neck is a bit short and her head maybe a tad big in proportion. She is also a bit uphill, but not bad at all. I like the look of her all in all, very pretty!

#5 ·
What do you want to do with her? conformation flaws do depend on what the horse is for.

From what I can see:
She is upright in her shoulder, this will give her a choppier gait.
She is thick through the throaght lash which will make it hard for her to come onto the verticle if you wanted to do dressage.
She appears to be slightly over at the knee. This is preferable to being back at the knee but will still put extra pressure on the tendons of her front legs.
She looks a bit upright in her pasturns but not so much that it would worry me unduly for riding disciplines.
Perhaps ever so slighly long in the back but for a mare this is more acceptable then for a gelding or colt.

#6 ·
Thanks! Cameo is a trained and finished cutting, team penning, and heel horse. I don't compete with her in any of those sports because he last owner really burned her out with it by over working her and using harsh cowboy methods. I have run 2D times on her during pole bending, speed barrels, and barrel racing at gymkhana. We do a lot of trail riding in the mountains and she is definitely a beast of a trail horse and will push through anything, I appreciate the critiques because I am trying to learn how to see all of these little conformational flaws.

#8 ·
She's so beautiful! I want her *steals*. :-p
I think her pasterns are a bit short, and it looks like she could be a little 'camped out' in some pictures, but is some she looks like she's not. :/
I would like her hindquarters and shoulders to not be so upright and rectangular, it limits some of the movement, but it's not the worst I've seen, it's minor.
I really like the muscling!
I would like her chest to be deeper. It makes them more athletic and gives them more room for bigger hearts and lungs.
She's got pretty minor flaws and overally I really like her.
Her neck is a tad long, whi

#9 ·
I've never heard the term camped out. What does that mean?

Thanks for the compliment! When I bought her I WAS NOT search for a mustang and I definitely wasn't searching for a short 15.1hh horse. I happened to be helping a friend move to a new boarding facility and another woman that was helping over heard me saying that I had two appointments that day to view horses for sale. She mentioned she had a horse at that facility for sale that they didn't ride anymore. She brought me to her stall and all I could think was UGH. I don't like red horses and I had never even once considered a mustang but the look in her eyes told me that she really needed me. Her hooves were in terrible condition and she looked lifeless in her eyes. She had been sitting in her stall with a 30ft run for seven months without ever being turned out because the stables thought she was aggressive. She let me spend a few months with her before deciding to buy her and that is when we formed a really tight bond. She isn't aggressive but she is an alpha mare and is at the top of the pecking order. Long story short I bought her for way more than she is technically worth but to me she is worth every single cent. I have her on joint supplements because of those short pasterns so I can keep her joints healthy. I am going to see if I can locate a before photo of her... She almost looks like a different horse now to a certain extent. Her coat used to be so dull and now it is shiny and she has faint dapples, I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.