The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Pulling Back (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/pulling-back-79139/)

petitepyromaniac 02-22-2011 12:16 PM

Pulling Back

My mare pulls back when tied, and I'd really like to train her not to. Any suggestions? Or is this just something I have to deal with for the rest of her life (or as long as I keep her)?

She'll pull back both on cross ties and a single hitching post, but it seems to happen more often on a hitching post. I use a rope halter on her with no hardware so nothing breaks, therefore I don't think she's doing it to get loose, because she never does.

It doesn't seem to be a spooking thing either. I can see it coming, because she gets tense and then pulls, apparantly whenever she feels like it. I can't tell what's causing it, and I'm starting to think it's just her being nasty for no reason.

MyBrandy 02-22-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitepyromaniac (Post 937018)
My mare pulls back when tied, and I'd really like to train her not to. Any suggestions? Or is this just something I have to deal with for the rest of her life (or as long as I keep her)?

She'll pull back both on cross ties and a single hitching post, but it seems to happen more often on a hitching post. I use a rope halter on her with no hardware so nothing breaks, therefore I don't think she's doing it to get loose, because she never does.

It doesn't seem to be a spooking thing either. I can see it coming, because she gets tense and then pulls, apparantly whenever she feels like it. I can't tell what's causing it, and I'm starting to think it's just her being nasty for no reason.

-I had a problem like that with my 6 year old mare - she would pull back in cross ties, pulling the hardware our, busting the ties..etc..
- have a tie ring like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Blocker-Tie-Ring-Chrome/dp/B0013Z4OT4follow the instructions on how to tie the horse up - it's really easy.
- basically you tie her up and try to spook her intentionally, when she pulls back she realizes that the lead rope gives and that she CAN move her feet and get away from the spooky object (in this case you LOL).
you do this over and over then after a while she will think she really isn't tied up and can move if she wants to - so after time she will realize running away is just "work" for her..
- horses get tense or panic when they are tied because they reach the end of the rope and if they can't move their feet to get away - they will fight = busted lead ropes, halters and in severe cases the horses literally "flip over on their back" injuring them selves.. it can be very dangerous for the horse and people around if the horse doesn't know how to stand tied quietly.

natisha 02-22-2011 05:03 PM

Yes, get a tie ring. It will work wonders.

MyBrandy 02-22-2011 05:11 PM

Yup they are awesome.. I use them as side ties on my trailer, in the stall, you can create cross ties using those things. Personally I would not put a horse that pulls back into cross ties, as that is usually more claustrophobic for them..
I taught my 2 year old to stand tied in about 2 days even without the tie ring.. just took a long line (long rope lead) - took her to the wood board fence and just threw the long line over the board. When - then threw my arms up making hissing sounds.. she would spook try to get away and she could.. the lead would give. So then reel her back in and do it all over again.. Do this 20 times and I guarantee you she will be much better on try 21 :-)
Not only that she learned not to pull back, but she is a lot let head shy, cause my hands around her head don't bother her any more :-)

petitepyromaniac 02-22-2011 08:41 PM

So, after using this gadget for a while, will I eventually be able to go back to normal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBrandy (Post 937445)
Not only that she learned not to pull back, but she is a lot let head shy, cause my hands around her head don't bother her any more :-)

Interesting that you mention that. My horse doesn't mind me haltering or putting the bridle on her, but if I try to just pet her on her face, she'll pull back. Maybe this will help with that too...

I was wondering too if all of this could stem from a vision thing. However, she's not spooky, she's great to ride, etc. So I don't know...

MyBrandy 02-22-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitepyromaniac (Post 937677)
So, after using this gadget for a while, will I eventually be able to go back to normal?

Interesting that you mention that. My horse doesn't mind me haltering or putting the bridle on her, but if I try to just pet her on her face, she'll pull back. Maybe this will help with that too...

I was wondering too if all of this could stem from a vision thing. However, she's not spooky, she's great to ride, etc. So I don't know...

<----------yes once your horse learns to stand tied correctly you may go back to "conventional" way of tying.. however I am not sure why you would want to.. it's an overall safer way to tie your horse, cause should she still spook she will be able to make that step of 2 back and "recover" and calm down.. it's up to you - I do tie my 6 year old now to anything rigid on occasion - simply because I know she just won't go anywhere and is pretty much really hard to spook.

"Interesting that you mention that. My horse doesn't mind me haltering or putting the bridle on her, but if I try to just pet her on her face, she'll pull back. Maybe this will help with that too..." <-------- you most definitely can call the vet and have him check her eyes, however before I would spend that money - I would make sure I try to train her to allow me to touch her anywhere on her head - really your horse should be able to let you touch the anywhere on their body.. I frequently give my mares back and butt massages - standing directly behind them (both hands on the horse) - but I can only do that because I have desensitized them to me as being spooky moving noisy object and pretty much I can pet and touch them anywhere on their bodies and they are very comfortable about it :-)
I don't want to be worried about my safety if I need to go around my horse - behind her... I am still cautious and keep one eye on her, but they just know I won't hurt them, even when I am in their blind spot.

petitepyromaniac 02-22-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBrandy (Post 937700)
<----------yes once your horse learns to stand tied correctly you may go back to "conventional" way of tying.. however I am not sure why you would want to.. it's an overall safer way to tie your horse, cause should she still spook she will be able to make that step of 2 back and "recover" and calm down.. it's up to you - I do tie my 6 year old now to anything rigid on occasion - simply because I know she just won't go anywhere and is pretty much really hard to spook.

It's not that I'm in a hurry to stop using it, but I feel like it's somewhat of a bandaid. This doesn't seem to be a spooking issue, she never acts scared. She just gives me her 'pissed off look' and does it. I know that sounds stupid, but I'm not embarrassed to say it, because it's true. I really would like her to just learn that it's not worth the effort, and that it doesn't get her anywhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBrandy (Post 937700)
I would make sure I try to train her to allow me to touch her anywhere on her head - really your horse should be able to let you touch the anywhere on their body.

She'll let me touch her anywhere, but mostly when it's convenient for her. She'll stick her nose into the halter, open her mouth on her own for the bit, doesn't mind me taking extra long to move her ears around and make sure all the straps are right... But if I'm trying to pet or brush her, she'll turn her head away to the other side, just out of reach. If I go on the other side, she does it the other way. Or sometimes she'll just get her pissed look again and pull back.

It's all rather frustrating, especially when I'm trying to gently brush her with a soft brush, or give her an affectionate scratch. She's not an affectionate horse for sure! But I love her just the same...

MyBrandy 02-22-2011 09:45 PM

She'll let me touch her anywhere, but mostly when it's convenient for her. She'll stick her nose into the halter, open her mouth on her own for the bit, doesn't mind me taking extra long to move her ears around and make sure all the straps are right... But if I'm trying to pet or brush her, she'll turn her head away to the other side, just out of reach. If I go on the other side, she does it the other way. Or sometimes she'll just get her pissed look again and pull back.

<----------this really makes me think she is just being disrespectful out of an ingrained habit :-)
-My 6 year old mare does that every-once-a-while, (cause she is in foal and I focus most work on my 2 year old filly) or when I want to pet her on her nose - she lifts her head and turns away.. she does that when she is in the stall only, cause she knows that I can't make her feet hustle at that moment LOL..
-she never does that when she is on the lead lope or in the round pen - cause she will pay for it dearly by having to work to loose weight :-)
-so every time she does that - make her feet hustle so that she wants to stand still and have you rub her on all those spots she normally doesn't like you to touch her -like her muzzle, keep rubbing on the spot she is comfortable with and the just by accident touch her nose where she doesn't like it - then move away (retreat) from that spot before she turn away. If she turns away - yank the lead rope so that she is facing you with 2 eyes and keep rubbing.. stop only when she stands still and is relaxed.
-also every time my horse starts turning head away from me - I go after their butt to disengage their hindquarters, because I am much safer moving her butt away (which makes her look at me)

Hope that helps :-)

petitepyromaniac 02-23-2011 02:34 PM

Brilliant! Why is it that the answer is always so obvious, and yet I never see it? Lol.

I'll get started on the ground work asap. I'm sure it will help! Thank you!!!

MHFoundation Quarters 02-23-2011 05:03 PM

This is the old cowboy solution that my family has used for years. It's how all of our babies are taught to tie and pulling never becomes an issue but it does work on older horses that pull back or fight when tied. Go to your local tire store and ask for an old tractor tire inner tube, if they have old holey ones they will generally give you one. and put it doubled around a post or your tie area, this will leave you 2 loops on the open end. Be sure to anchor the sides with long posted fence staples so that it can't move up or down. Tie your lead thru the 2 loops. When they pull back or fight they meet resistance that is asking them to move back forward and knock it off. They will eventually learn that it doesnt matter how hard they pull or fight that they are not going to win and when they stand and behave the pressure goes away.