The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Homemade Tail Extentions? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/homemade-tail-extentions-79158/)

ropergirl 02-22-2011 04:12 PM

Homemade Tail Extentions?

I am showing an appaloosa this year,and its REALLY hard to find a tail extention that matches,so is there a way to make a homemade one?
Thanks,
Kylee.

lacyloo 02-22-2011 04:19 PM

What color is your hair and how much are you willing to cut? -joking-

Good luck, I have no experience with horse tail extensions but I did goggle it and several sites came up that sell them.

trailsntails 02-22-2011 06:32 PM

Sounds dangerous.... :P jk... Well if you have a couple extra horses that you're not doing anything with, you could cut off their tails (if they match) and make one..... :P JK don't do that. :lol:

Citrus 02-22-2011 07:26 PM

I wonder if you could look up wig making and then make it horse tail shaped..... and to make it you could use other wigs......

dragy 02-23-2011 11:25 AM

If you contact a "tail-maker" you can ask about custom tail colors, such as http://www.customtails.com - hard-to-match tails are their specialty! :D Not cheap, but it's probably going to look nicer and more authentic/real than something you'd be able to make yourself. Probably the best route to go if you're going to be showing rated or breed shows.

I guess if you really wanted to try making your own, you could google search horse hair and see if you can find a site and buy 1-2lb (depending how much tail you need I guess) of horse hair that matches your horses tail colors, then see if you can make your own tail out of it. I guess most tails are just sort of bound together at the top and then have a loop or loops for braiding them in.

Gwill 02-25-2011 08:29 AM

it's the 1st time i hear about tail extension LOL , but i guess if you google it u would find out how .

lacyloo 02-27-2011 06:19 PM

Colorful Manes and Tails - Home

Kayty 02-27-2011 11:00 PM

I wouldnt make your own - professionally made falsies are expensive for a reason - it is very hard to source horse hair to match a specific tail colour, and the time and required to make a tail that looks real is huge.

You really don't want to put a falsie in that is the wrong colour, it will stick out like a sore thumb and look worse than if you left the tail natural. Also if the thickness and length is wrong, it is going to look pretty terrible!!
Have a look at the websites people have posted above, contact a maker and send them a few photos and possibly samples of your horse's tail so that they can match and source a suitable tail for you.

petitepyromaniac 02-28-2011 01:22 PM

You could try a human beauty supply store. Do you have a "Sally's Beauty Supply" where you live? They have clip in extensions called Euronext, which is a pretty good quality hair. You could clip it into the tail however you want so it blends best. It probably won't be super long, but it might look a little better. The nice thing about that hair is that you can color it if it's not the right color initially.

That's coming from a cosmetologist though, so... hopefully I didn't make it sound too complicated. Good luck!

lacyloo 02-28-2011 07:45 PM

Maybe start applying MTG also? It wont hurt anything and by next season you may have a full tail !