The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Venting about a riding lesson (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/venting-about-riding-lesson-79187/)

Puddintat 02-22-2011 08:37 PM

Venting about a riding lesson

So I've been riding off an on for a few years but still consider myself a beginner because I don't canter, not on purpose anyway. I started taking lessons again in September. I took them every other week until December. I know I'm ready to canter but still scared. I had a few quirks I needed to get fixed with my horse so I had another trainer work with him. I decided since she did such a good job working with him the first time I'd have her out again. For the second training sesson she worked with him and then gave me a lesson.

Everything was fine until I got on him. (Keep in mind that I've taken english lessons years ago but now I'm using a western saddle and my goal is fun) As soon as I got on the saddle she was implying that I was scared, which I was definitely not. She then proceeded to tell me that the way I was sitting, which is how I was taught to sit, was completely wrong. She then threatened to hit me with a whip because everything she told me went in one ear and out the other. She then told me she felt like she was teaching a child and not an adult. I was so angry and I told her I wasn't trying to look pretty just be safe and she said she was teaching me to be correct. I've never had such a bad lesson and will never use her again. I'll spend the extra money and stick with the instructor that respects me and isn't stuck up.

She was having me do dressage in a western saddle and it was very difficult to keep my position, practically painful. I felt so out of place and felt like I was going to tumble off any minute.

Thanks for reading the ramble!!:grin:

gypsygirl 02-22-2011 08:40 PM

wow that sounds horrible !! i would def stick with the instructor you like !

Salila 02-22-2011 08:49 PM

Riding western is meant to be looser and more free ranging in motion than dressage. It's about discipline, yes, but so are all riding styles and sports.

Certainly, I don't blame you for not wanting to stick with this woman, I certainly wouldn't.

Puddintat 02-22-2011 08:52 PM

I would've been more okay with the structure if she wouldn't have spoken to me that way. Its funny, too, because when I ride I'm told by people that I hold my reins with more contact then most western riders do but with this lesson I felt like I was ripping Dancer's face off! lol

smrobs 02-22-2011 09:14 PM

I agree with the others. If you aren't happy and having fun with her, then she isn't a very good instructor. IMHO riding should be, first and foremost, fun. If it isn't fun then you won't get anywhere.

I thought that I would also mention that western saddles are designed to sit you differently than most english saddles. Last time I tried to sit like you are taught to sit in English riding, it was very difficult (and after a while, painful) because I was working against my saddle.

Dusty1228 02-22-2011 09:17 PM

How dare someone think it is okay to talk to someone else that way? Excuse me if I seem exuberant in my reply but I work with people all dang day long and disrespectful, rude and clueless people just butter my muffin!

You're paying HER for her time and you obviously know at least a thing or two so there is no reason for her to have behaved that way, IMHO. I would definitely work with someone else and I would let her know why as well.

If she's talking to YOU that way, I wonder how she IS speaking to children? o they go home crying? As a child something like that could be extremely detrimental. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. ~making angry faces~

SilverSpur 02-22-2011 09:40 PM

.....one of the best instructors i ever had was like that. she wasnt being bitchy on purpose, she just wanted results and for you to be the best rider you could be. she is one amazing lady but you have to leave your crap at the door.

Shasta1981 02-22-2011 09:51 PM

I agree with you puddintat. Your hard earned money does not need to be put with that kind of treatment. I get that some trainers want to push and make you better, but when I'm paying you $80 an hour to learn and become better and genuinely am a steward to the craft you had better leave your short fuse at home. You probably work your tail off at your job and want to do something that you enjoy and makes you forget about the office and if this trainer isn't producing that then I would go elsewhere too.

smrobs 02-22-2011 11:12 PM

I agree, it's okay (and some people prefer it) for an instructor to be strict, but being bitchy and tearing someone down is most certainly not okay.

tinyliny 02-22-2011 11:18 PM

[QUOTE=Dusty1228;937743]How dare someone think it is okay to talk to someone else that way? Excuse me if I seem exuberant in my reply but I work with people all dang day long and disrespectful, rude and clueless people just butter my muffin!

Yeah, if anyone said they'd hit me with the whip to "help" me sit up better, we'll they eat the whip.
Behavior like that just steams my clams!