The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What tack oil should I consider? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/what-tack-oil-should-i-consider-79189/)

trynottofall 02-22-2011 08:46 PM

What tack oil should I consider?

So, I recently got one of the old pessoas, it's a nice color (pretty dark), but needs some tuning up. I've been looking around and there are a lot of options, and I don't want to mess up my saddle. I also am receiving some new tack via. Dover, (martingale, bridle, leathers). Please help me choose the right one. Thanks!

justjump 02-22-2011 08:47 PM

Neats foot oil!! Works for everything and it makes the leather look beautiful!!
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBrandy 02-22-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjump (Post 937687)
Neats foot oil!! Works for everything and it makes the leather look beautiful!!
Posted via Mobile Device

- I concur :-)

smrobs 02-22-2011 09:07 PM

Yep, neatsfoot oil. Make sure you get the pure stuff though, not the compound. Pure is better. :D

bsms 02-22-2011 09:58 PM

This is more a grease than an oil, but I really like how it works:

Dover Saddlery | Passier Lederbalsam Leather Care.

I've used it on saddles and boots. It seems to take out small scratches and doesn't leave it feeling oily. It doesn't soften it as much as neatsfoot oil, but it worked great on the store display Bates saddle I bought - dry and stiff when it arrived, but a couple of treatments and the leather is now great. I think it also has some wax in it, which helps keep the oil in the saddle longer.

~*~anebel~*~ 02-22-2011 10:17 PM

Having reconditioned old tack before, I can tell you that oil is no longer necessarily the end-all-be-all of tack conditioning - in fact with incorrect use one can end up damaging the leather by getting the inside part of it completely saturated with oil - leading to quicker breakdown of equipment.
While poorer quality leather will almost require occasional oiling to keep from cracking - if it is cared for properly from day one it really should only need to be conditioned.

I swear by leather CPR for reconditioning leather - your saddle will honestly look like new after a coat or two of this stuff - and it does not darken the leather like oil does.
As far as for the new tack - before the first use I would clean it with Fiebings saddle soap to get the factory stuff off of it and then after every use I would use Horseman's one step - on the really dirty parts use the saddle soap again.

Good luck! And remember that even just wiping the sweat off of your tack after every use will substantially prolong the life of it.

Golden Horse 02-23-2011 12:08 AM

I second the Passier Leaderbalsm, I recently bought a can of it, and I love it.

Eolith 02-23-2011 01:02 AM

I really like the Effax leather products, particularly their Leder Balsam.

luvs2ride1979 02-23-2011 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsms (Post 937802)
This is more a grease than an oil, but I really like how it works:

Dover Saddlery | Passier Lederbalsam Leather Care.

I've used it on saddles and boots. It seems to take out small scratches and doesn't leave it feeling oily. It doesn't soften it as much as neatsfoot oil, but it worked great on the store display Bates saddle I bought - dry and stiff when it arrived, but a couple of treatments and the leather is now great. I think it also has some wax in it, which helps keep the oil in the saddle longer.

I third Passier Lederbalsam! I have been using it for a decade or more; it's very good stuff. It's closer to the "goop" used by high quality leather tanners to condition and soften leather before it's made in to something, so it works very well on high quality leather items. I use it on all of my good saddles, bridlework, and leather halters. I put it on with my hands, to help warm the conditioner and flex the leather a little so it soaks in deeper. Adam's Horse Supply has the best price on Lederbalsam.
Browsing Store - Passier Lederbalsam Leather Conditioner

If an item is very dry/stiff, I will first use Hydrophane Leather Dressing. It's a light-weight oil based product that helps waterproof the leather, won't damage stitching, and doesn't darken very much.
Browsing Store - Hydrophane Leather Dressing - 17oz
After a few coats of Hydropane, I follow with the Passier Lederbalsam to soften and protect even more.

Golden Horse 02-23-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979 (Post 938157)
I put it on with my hands, to help warm the conditioner and flex the leather a little so it soaks in deeper. Adam's Horse Supply has the best price on Lederbalsam.
Browsing Store - Passier Lederbalsam Leather Conditioner

LOL, me to, I love sitting there in the evening massaging it into the tack I'm currently working on, I'm sure it's improving my skin as well.