The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Good beginner barrel horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/good-beginner-barrel-horse-79196/)

jessiexcash 02-22-2011 10:35 PM

Good beginner barrel horse?

Hi :D

I am kind of in a pickel and looking for some advice...
I've started barrels on my gelding last summer, although he has a great mind and attidude for the job I'm still not sure about him (considering his breed and size.)
I'm an experiensed rider but although new to barrels, I usually would just do trail riding but decided to try something new. I just wanted my gelding to be my beginner barrel prospect....
He is a Quarter Horse/Morgan, 11 yrs, 14.3hh, and quit plump!
I am a young rider as well...
Do you think he would be a good beginner barrel horse? Or should I just stick to my trail riding? I have also been thinking of switching to English and trying the jumps.
Opinions??? :-)

Thank you!

Countrygal892000 02-22-2011 10:43 PM

First off I want to say that it is awesome you are getting into barrel racing!! I have been barrel racing for 16 years and there is no horse that would not make a great beginner horse. My first barrel horse was an Arabian and him and I learned together. We ended up winning a state championship. A Morgan/QH cross is a great horse and would be perfect. As long as he seems to like doing it and doesn't put up a fight or seemed annoyed by doing it than you should keep practicing with him. It's not about being the best (at first :wink: ) but rather just enjoy doing it. If it is something that you wanted to get real serious about then finding a horse that is a 2D to a 1D horse (seeing how you are an experienced rider) would be perfect for you. As for now, just enjoy it and hopefully your horse will too! :-)