The Horse Forum banner

Korea IMG Heavy

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Iseul 
#1 ·
I thought some of you might enjoy seeing what I have been able to see in the past year. I still have another year over here, and am looking forward to getting many more pictures to share.

Gyeongbokgung Palace (Royal Emporar's Palace)

Magnolia Tree

Cherry Tree

My husband (Dan), our two daughters, and two of the Korean Army guys that worked with my husband.

Me, my youngest daughter, and one of Dan's soldiers

See less See more
#8 ·
It is a lot like Japan except that Japan is a bit more , hm m m, helter skelter and ecclectic. Less neat, more cute, less organized, more individualistic. I was amazed at how new and how homogenized the tall buildingsof Seoul look. I wonder if the Korean people are even more culturally homogenized than the Japanese. I think that though Japan is an island nation and maintained itself free from Western influence for a LONG time, they are now quite willing to soak up the good and the bad from all kinds of other cultures.

I bet the Koreans just think your daughters are the cat's meow. They are cute, but that angel's feathers light hair would be of interest. do you or your husband speak any Korean? Do you eat the food or stick to the Western supermarkets.? How big is your flat?

#10 ·
Thanks everyone. It has been quite an experience living over here. The only problem I have is being so far from family. But, hey, I did get to eat at Mc Donalds for the first time in 8 months the other day. It is a lot of fun. The Koreans are incorporating a lot of things from the U. S. They have Burger King, Pizza Hut, Baskin Robbins, Popeyes, and several other places like that. They are starting to incorporate a lot of the clothing stores that we have in the states. What is really funny, is they are stuck in the 80's clothes wise. There are places here that are absolutely beautiful like what you have seen, and then there are places that I wouldn't walk a mangy dog through. I can't take the girls out without them being mobbed by hundreds of people. Blonde hair and blue eyes......they are supastarz. LOL!!! I live about 11 miles from the DMZ. I havent made it up there yet to tour it, but I will. We have tried the local cuisine, and love it. Especially the Kim Chi. It is like a spicy Sauerkrout (sp?). It is really good. I am not good with foreign languages. I know 2 words in Korean, and I cannot read hongul (their written language). I am really enjoying living over here, but I can't wait to get back home.....where ever we end up.

#14 ·
I am -very- jealous. My Nana came to the US from Seoul, and I'm just dying to get my chance to visit, and hopefully stay for a year or so. I'm hoping that my Nana will ge a chance to teach me a few more words than just the funny insults she's already taught the family, haha. I would like to take her back there, before she dies, but I have a feeling I won't be able to have the chance before then. :/
It's very beautiful. I hope you won't mind if I were to save them and show them to her? I know she'd love to see the cherry blossoms so close and beautiful. It looks even nicer than she's explained it to me.:) You're a wonderful photographer.
Posted via Mobile Device

#15 ·
I am -very- jealous. My Nana came to the US from Seoul, and I'm just dying to get my chance to visit, and hopefully stay for a year or so. I'm hoping that my Nana will ge a chance to teach me a few more words than just the funny insults she's already taught the family, haha. I would like to take her back there, before she dies, but I have a feeling I won't be able to have the chance before then. :/
It's very beautiful. I hope you won't mind if I were to save them and show them to her? I know she'd love to see the cherry blossoms so close and beautiful. It looks even nicer than she's explained it to me.:) You're a wonderful photographer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. You are more than welcome to save any of the pictures. I hope your Nana likes them. Let me know, would you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.