The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help me "appraise" this saddle!!! PLEASE

11K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Speed Racer 
#1 ·
Good morning!!

I have found this County saddle for sale local to me and I am interested in it, however I would like to know if others have experience with County saddles, as I do not.

Also, this is advertised as a Dressage saddle and I have never purchased a Dressage saddle, so I will need help there.

Lastly, this saddle apparently has a "spring tree". I am also not familiar with this, so I will need help there too :oops:

I have the serial number, however I called County yesterday only to find that there is not an authorized rep in my area at all. They said they would call me back, but have still not heard from them.

SO...my questions are:

would you buy this saddle?
how much would you consider paying for it?

Here are pictures and the description will follow:

Beautiful, black County Spring Tree English Saddle. Excellent condition, barely used. Stirrups included, but not pictured. Measures 16 inches. Serial #90011611

See less See more
#2 ·
County makes good saddles. That one was probably custom made, so you'd have to make sure it fit your horse.

As far as price, I dunno. Depends on how much you want it, whether or not it fits your horse, and how much wear it's showing.

Is it a dressage saddle? Maybe. I don't see the long billet straps that traditionally mean a dressage saddle, and I can't really tell the length of the flaps from your one photo, but the seat looks dressage.

#3 ·
Thanks SR-

Just a little background maybe will help.

I am just beginning with my horse (obviously I have never purchased a Dressage saddle lol), so I will not require anything crazy, nor do I want to spend a bunch of money on a saddle. I would definitely make sure it fit my horse prior to purchase, but I guess I am asking barring that goes ok and it rides nice, what should I expect to pay??

I have heard nice things about County saddles, but the things that are throwing me are the "spring tree" and the fact that I know very little about Dressage saddles.

Would this saddle be acceptable and look nice in the Dressage arena? For smaller shows and beginner levels? I also noticed that there is no knee roll. I would think this would be a benefit in a Dressage saddle since you want contact with the horse...am I even close with this assumption?

#4 ·
Yes, the saddle would be completely acceptable at lower levels and local shows. County saddles are also used at the upper levels. It's beautiful and very well made in my opinion.

As far as a spring tree, what that means is it's less rigid and has more 'give' than an unflexible tree. It's for the horse and rider's comfort.

Some people believe spring trees are harder for novices to ride, because they have more flexion than a rigid tree. You'd have to decide for yourself whether or not you'd feel comfortable riding in it. Will they let you take it out on trial?

Since County saddles are generally custom made, they're expensive. If you can get this one for less than $1,000.00, I'd say you've found yourself a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.