The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Skin/coat supplemt question!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/skin-coat-supplemt-question-79234/)

eralcx3 02-23-2011 11:34 AM

Skin/coat supplemt question!!

2 Attachment(s)
I have a bay mare that bleaches out every summer and I would really like her to stay as dark as possible this year. She is outside 24/7 with other horses so me buying a sheet for her would be completely pointless. It would get ripped to pieces in less than a day and I do not want to keep her in a stall. She would probably go crazy!

So, my question....are regular skin and coat supplements as in SmartShine Ultra - Horse Skin & Coat Supplements from SmartPak Equine just as good as one like this Black as Knight - Horse Skin & Coat Supplements from SmartPak Equine that is made to keep her dark??

I do not want spend a lot of money on one made to keep her dark, if one that isn't will still do the job.

Attachment 56377

Attachment 56378

Left Hand Percherons 02-23-2011 09:17 PM

The main ingredient in the first product is flax. For $32 (50#) you can get 800 1 oz portions for $.04 (compared to $.68) I would recommend upping that to 4 oz per day ($.16). The second product is glorified Paprika. You can pick up 1# jars of it at Costco for $4. 2 T will run $.10. Both BAK and paprika will test positive so if you're showing, eliminate it from the diet 3-4 day before competition. For about $.25 per day, you can do what those products will do for $1.40 and do a better job by adding more flax.

Sun bleaching has more to do with genetics than diet but adding both will slow things down. If you are going to add products, it's best to start now as the summer coat is starting to come in

luvs2ride1979 02-23-2011 10:54 PM

Whatever you decide, you need to start feeding it before the horse starts to shed in late winter.

I agree though, 1/2 to 1 cup of flax meal along with 1-2 tablespoons of paprika should keep the coat dark and shiney. You also need to make sure the rest of the horse's diet is balanced, with plenty of copper and zinc.

starlinestables 02-23-2011 11:38 PM

I've used BAK will great success even with an already bleached horse. I had a black brown mare that was out 24/7 and she bleached to an almost buckskin color.. Very Ugly! I put her on BAK and she was black again in 3-4 weeks.

I just pulled my oldenburg out of the pasture to condition and sell and I purchased BAK and smart shine in hopes of getting her looking great FAST.