The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Trying to gain a thorough understanding of the Boulonnais Breed (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/trying-gain-thorough-understanding-boulonnais-breed-79293/)

SimplyPhantom 02-23-2011 11:49 PM

Trying to gain a thorough understanding of the Boulonnais Breed

I hope I did this right,if not please forgive me.

I've stalked this particular forum for about three years before deciding to sign up.I don't own any horses(I wish I did),but that wont stop me from learning more about horse breeds and the equine species in general.

I'm not much for draft breeds but I must admit the Boulonnais has caught my eye,and I have several horse breed books but none can tell me what exactly went into the breed to make it the Boulonnais.For instance I know that to make an Azteca you'd have to infuse the Andalusian,Criollo and Quarter horse to get the Azteca.I hope that makes sense.I can hardly find any info about the breed here on Google,and I was hoping to see if anyone could help me out here.The reason I ask is because I intend to breed Boulonnais horses one day and I need to know what went into the breed to make them and or if I have to fly to France one day and attempt to import some back to the USA for breeding purposes.

Thanks for any help.:-)

Islandmudpony 02-24-2011 05:07 PM

did you find this one?

Boulonnais horse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, the American Boulonnais association (which is trying to maintain a breeding population "over here": American Boulonnais Horse Association

Apparently there are only about 700 of the breed in Europe. I am curious to know if the studbooks is open to any kind of mixes and crosses with other breeds that are included in their original ancestry, such as andalusian.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum :)

SimplyPhantom 03-12-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islandmudpony (Post 939969)
did you find this one?

Boulonnais horse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, the American Boulonnais association (which is trying to maintain a breeding population "over here": American Boulonnais Horse Association

Apparently there are only about 700 of the breed in Europe. I am curious to know if the studbooks is open to any kind of mixes and crosses with other breeds that are included in their original ancestry, such as andalusian.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum :)

Thankyou for your help :) But yes I've already looked into those two sites.Luckily I found two websites that sell Boulonnais horses or Bologne horses. XD The reason I requested this info is because I have a high interest in bringing the breed back to North America and breeding them along with the Spanish Norman,Andalusian,Lusitano,Alter Real,and Lipizzan breeds.Thankyou again for your help :)

chelle85 01-06-2012 11:52 AM

Hello,

I've had Boulonnais horses for over 10 years, if I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to contact me!