The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Mare I sold 6 weeks ago coming back today (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/mare-i-sold-6-weeks-ago-79339/)

TamaraB 02-24-2011 01:03 PM

Mare I sold 6 weeks ago coming back today

I sold Missy to someone 6 weeks ago and she called two days ago to say her and the boyfriend she bought her for had broken up. The ex boyfriend was supposed to be feeding her and she said he isn't taking care of her. I said I would buy her back. Missy was a really easy keeper and was a bit overweight 6 weeks ago. She says she will need to put some weight back on. She will be here in like an hour so I will post how she looks when she gets here. I am just nervous she is going to be skin and bones. How quickly can a healthy horse get skinny if not cared for? It was mid january when I sold her.

ShutUpJoe 02-24-2011 01:06 PM

You will be amazed how fast a horse can lose and gain weight. Hopefully she isn't that bad : (

Starlite 02-24-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TamaraB (Post 939722)
I sold Missy to someone 6 weeks ago and she called two days ago to say her and the boyfriend she bought her for had broken up. The ex boyfriend was supposed to be feeding her and she said he isn't taking care of her. I said I would buy her back. Missy was a really easy keeper and was a bit overweight 6 weeks ago. She says she will need to put some weight back on. She will be here in like an hour so I will post how she looks when she gets here. I am just nervous she is going to be skin and bones. How quickly can a healthy horse get skinny if not cared for? It was mid january when I sold her.

That stinks, but THANK GOODNESS she is ending up back in your hands and not left to starve or sent to auction or some god awful thing. Hopefully she isn't too bad. :-(

TamaraB 02-24-2011 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here she is right before I sold her. I am really nervous.

TamaraB 02-24-2011 09:12 PM

Well, she has lost a quite a bit of weight but I think she will gain back quickly once she is being fed. She also reared up while they were putting her on the trailer and hit her cheek and had a really large cut. I had the vet out and she had to put some stitches in and set it up to drain. She is in a stall for the night because it is going to rain and we need to keep it dry. She will be on antibiotics for a week and I think it is going to be tough getting her to take it. It has been a long day for her but she is happy and eating hay now.

netty83 02-25-2011 06:32 AM

Poor love. I hope she is doing better real soon and look forward to seeing some more pictures of her. It must ave been quite a day for her. Lots of hugs for her and you or course. :hug::hug:

Barry Godden 02-25-2011 07:07 AM

She looks very much like the trotter/welsh that we took in a few weeks ago

Put the old routine as close as possible back into her life.
Do some work in hand before you slap a saddle on her.
Allow a few weeks to settle back in.
Watch her very carefully - being left without food in cold weather might
have made her anxious.
I'd wait a week or so then I'd worm her.

But you probably know all that.

It sounds as though the horse had a near miss.

TamaraB 02-25-2011 07:39 AM

Thanks everyone! She is just going to stay here from now on. I can't sell her again and the other horses are so happy to see her they are being so sweet! Since she was in the barn overnight they stood there with her outside the stall and kept her company. She is back in the seperate turn out area where she can see and reach the others but not be with them yet. It was just raining overnight so I am glad to put her back out. Now here is the tough part... 7 days of antibiotics 12 pills twice a day!