The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   filly conformation?? possible barrel or cow horse prospect?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/filly-conformation-possible-barrel-cow-horse-79432/)

banman 02-25-2011 12:06 PM

filly conformation?? possible barrel or cow horse prospect??

4 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 56575[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
hi this is juliet my quarter horse filly, she is three months old in these pictures, i was wondering what you all think of her conformation and also if she would possibly make an ok cow horse or barrel horse?? i know she is a little cow hawked i was just wondering what else you all could tell me? thank you :)

Equilove 02-25-2011 12:30 PM

Impossible to tell with the babies. She looks very solid and has a nice hip, but in the next 3 years, she will change drastically. The fact she's a quarter horse already gives you hope she'll be built for barrels or working cows, though ;) She is too cute.

bubba13 02-25-2011 12:53 PM

She's cute. A little long in the cannons but she might grow into them. Looks like she might have a long and potentially weak back when fully grown. Wish her gaskins were more proportionate, but I think she'll end up pretty nice all the same.

Elana 02-25-2011 01:41 PM

The length of the cannon bone is usually set pretty much at birth or slightly later. This does not mean they do not grow, but the growth is usually not a lot of length (they gain substance and joint surface). The rest of the foal sort of grows into the cannon... and it is sort of the reason why foals look so leggy.

She looks a nice one but who knows? Take a photo in 3 years..... :)

IMO a child the age of the one out there with the foal is too young to be out there. Foals can be wonderful and gentle but they are also unpredictable. This foal towers over this child and could (and I have seen them do this) suddenly whirl, kick up her heels and hurt the child.

Safety is job one.. be it safety to the horse or the people around the horse!