The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horses won't drink out of heated buckets (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horses-wont-drink-out-heated-buckets-79434/)

Equilove 02-25-2011 12:13 PM

Horses won't drink out of heated buckets

We have a large tank, as well as 5g buckets and tubs that are heated. The horses won't drink out of them, and if they do, it's very little. Even when the element isn't plugged in, they won't drink out of it. There is no short in the heater, all the water is clean... what the heck?

Soul 02-26-2011 10:28 AM

I'm no expert at things like this, but I'm thinking maybe it somehow scares your horse, like how my barrel horse is scared of big rocks. Is the heated buckets new? Maybe if they are new, they may need to be washed really well again because the water could taste funny and the horse doesn't like it. Is your horse with other horses? If your horse is in with other horses, are they fine with drinking out of the bucket?

natisha 02-26-2011 11:27 AM

Are the buckets green or blue? I've known many who for some reason won't drink from the green ones.

Arksly 02-26-2011 11:31 AM

Is there a possibility that your horse touched the heater with his nose?

Saddlebag 02-26-2011 11:42 AM

Try a different bucket and try cold water. Mine don't like warm water, only as it comes from the well.

Arksly 02-26-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 941997)
Try a different bucket and try cold water. Mine don't like warm water, only as it comes from the well.

That might not be an option right now, with it being winter. I'm not sure where the OP is from, but I can assure you, there is no way that cool water would last long here in Alberta :)

Equilove 02-26-2011 12:08 PM

Thanks for replies everyone :) The only one where you can actually SEE the heating element is the tank. The others look just like regular buckets and you can't even see that it's heated. Yes, we washed out the buckets before filling them with drinking water. Here are the buckets I'm talking about:

The "tub" which is inside the big stall with my mare:

API 16HB Heated Bucket, 16 gal. - 2170851 | Tractor Supply Company

The buckets which we use for the minis:

API 20FB Heated Flatback Bucket, 5 gal. - 2409323 | Tractor Supply Company

And then the big tank with the heating element at the bottom, which I couldn't find a photo of. It's like the big black/grey trough you see in most horse pastures.

We empty and clean out the tanks regularly. I even left one tub unplugged to see if they might drink it then, and they didn't. I'm thoroughly confused! I'm ESPECIALLY confused why the BO went and bought three more huge heated tubs, even though the horses aren't drinking out of them...