The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Braiding the Mane (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/braiding-mane-79460/)

ScharmLily 02-25-2011 05:09 PM

Braiding the Mane

I always wondered if it would be a good idea to braid my mare's mane to keep it neat and protect it. However, I'm afraid that if it is in braids and she decides to scratch it, that instead of breaking a few hairs, it will take the whole braid out. Has anyone had any experience/problems with keeping a mane braided? She is an arab and I love her long mane. I did know someone once who told me about a horse at her barn that had a braided forelock and rubbed out the entire braid in one big chunk :-(. Is this common, or more of a freak incident?

JustDressageIt 02-25-2011 05:29 PM

Braid loosely, not tight, and look into mane bags :)
Posted via Mobile Device

faye 02-25-2011 05:55 PM

Dont braid it tight.
I once plaited a horse for a show. I always plait the morning of the show and in this case I washed the horse immediatly before plaiting it!
Well i plaited and rolled his mane up then popped him into a stable whilst I went and changed. I was in the house litteraly 5 mins and in that time he scratched his forelock plait off and it was sitting on the floor outside his stable!

justjump 02-25-2011 06:06 PM

My horse doesn't rub. If your doing braida for a show, they have to be tight regardless of if the horse likes it or not. However, if your just braiding it in long braids, braid semi loosely at the top, but tight towards the bottom.
Posted via Mobile Device

faye 02-25-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjump (Post 941384)
My horse doesn't rub. If your doing braida for a show, they have to be tight regardless of if the horse likes it or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not if you wantto do hooded plaits (AKA cobra plaits) they should be quite loose at the top then.

Also plaits should never be so tight as to be uncomfortable for the horse as it creates tension.

justjump 02-25-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faye (Post 941387)
Not if you wantto do hooded plaits (AKA cobra plaits) they should be quite loose at the top then.

Also plaits should never be so tight as to be uncomfortable for the horse as it creates tension.

I was talking about hunter braids. I've never heard of cobra plaits before.

oconley 02-27-2011 04:36 AM

I usually do braids (loose at the top) and then wrap the ends with electrical tape instead of rubber past his shoulders)

ScharmLily 03-02-2011 08:45 AM

^electrical tape? Doesn't that pull out hairs when you take it out?
Thanks guys, I'm thinking that I may braid it at least in the summer to get it off her neck a bit. I'm thinking that more, smaller (but relatively loose) braids would be better than fewer, larger ones. I am just thinking that if it were me, I wouldn't want to feel like I have weights hanging off my neck. I guess I'll just have to watch her carefully at first.

oconley 03-02-2011 01:29 PM

Nope. it slides right out when you take it out! :)