The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Somethings wrong with my filly's teeth. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/somethings-wrong-my-fillys-teeth-79474/)

lovemyhorseys 02-25-2011 09:46 PM

Somethings wrong with my filly's teeth.

I'm not sure how to explain this, and I'm pretty much in shock right now, so please excuse my mixed up speech. :?
I have a 3 year old QH filly and she keeps chewing on her feed bucket. Now, the bucket is that really bendy rubber that you can like fold in half and its snap-proof, so I didn't think anything of it. Also, she wasn't making any sucking sounds or weird breathing noises like they do when they crib. Well anyways, I went out there today and looked at her teeth while feeding her and theres blood over one of her front teeth (kind of looks like a cut?) and the top row of teeth look messed up. o.O like, not crooked but scratched and stuff. :(
I'll be having my vet look at her this Monday and I took her feed bucket out of her pen and will only put it in when feeding.. is there anything else I can do maybe? I have a cribbing collar someone passed down to me but idk how to use it or if I should. Gah. :cry:

myhorsesonador 02-25-2011 10:07 PM

It sounds like she is just teathing on the bucket not cribbing. Still I would take it out, and get her a stall ball or jolly ball what ever they call it.

lovemyhorseys 02-25-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhorsesonador (Post 941611)
It sounds like she is just teathing on the bucket not cribbing. Still I would take it out, and get her a stall ball or jolly ball what ever they call it.

Do you think that could that be what my farrier was talking about when he said she has baby teeth? I couldn't understand all of what he was saying bcuz he has a funny accent. o.O Ill put her jolly ball in with her tomorrow and see if she seems to use that like she was using the bucket.

myhorsesonador 02-25-2011 10:41 PM

it could be when horses are young they have caps or baby teeth that they loose as they get older.

Left Hand Percherons 02-26-2011 12:32 AM

As a 3 yo, she should be losing her 2nd incisor (not the front teeth, the next set). They do bleed breifly when the fall out. The permanent teeth should be short buds about 1/2 way showing.

lovemyhorseys 02-26-2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons (Post 941728)
As a 3 yo, she should be losing her 2nd incisor (not the front teeth, the next set). They do bleed breifly when the fall out. The permanent teeth should be short buds about 1/2 way showing.

I really appreciate you sharing this :D I'm not entirely sure that shes three, but she couldn't be younger than two and a half and def not older than three.