The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Update on Ginger! im so proud!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/update-ginger-im-so-proud-7948/)

Gingerrrrr 04-15-2008 06:19 PM

Update on Ginger! im so proud!!!

okay so today i went to the barn and free lunged Ginger until she was tired. as soon as i let her go into the paddock her took off into a full gallop, bucking and kicking. i could tell she was having fun since all winter they've been stuck in a little tiny paddock. so i went into the middle of the big paddock that i let her loose in and i cracked the lunge whip for her to start going. she knew exactly what i was asking. she had so much energy that she went into a full gallop around me. after about 3 minutes of that she slowed down to a canter. so she basically cantered around me for 45 minutes. she was sweating up a storm. after she cantered for about 45 minutes she was getting extremely tired so she decided to eat grass. :D the flies were EVERYWHERE, it was disgusting. after i let her eat for a bit i made her canter for awhile longer and then i took her out of the paddock and walked her around. she wasn't as pushy with me since she was tired. but she did try to pull me around a bit so every time she tried to prance around and pull me to grass i made her go into a very tight circle. after about doing this for 3 times she finally got the idea NOT to pull me. i walked her down by the lake and over by the road and she was doing great! i brought her back over to the lake and i let her graze while i sat on the picnic bench. she was trying to pull me but i wasn't budging (the rope halter is my bff by the way :D) after i brought her back into the barn and i trimmed her bridle path with scissors. it was really uneven because the last time i tried to cut it she just would not stand still but today she was an angel! i let her munch on some of the hay then i brought her back out and hosed her off because she was really sweaty. i could tell she really enjoyed it! and the whole time i was at the barn with her i felt like we had an instant connection, one that i havnt felt before with her. when i was letting her eat in the big paddock that i was lunging her in she was coming over to me like "what should i do next?" it was amazing. she is a really great horse. im still debating on weather or not to sell her. maybe all this bad behavior is just because she needs to be worked. im going to see how she does with this routine. im so very proud of her!

well thats my day with Ginger. i just had to share it with you guys because i am very excited to see how she is now acting.

saraequestrian 04-15-2008 09:00 PM

There's a few things I'm concerned about.

I would not work a horse till it's almost passed out to get it to cooperate with me. You want the horse to WANT to cooperate, not just because it's tired.

I wouldn't work her so hard (45 minutes of cantering is beyond overworking) and then let her eat immediately after, it could cause colic.

Sounds like you're on the right track, though! Do the same thing you talked about in this post, minus the intense workout.

Vidaloco 04-15-2008 09:13 PM

Its wonderful to have a "good horse day" isnt it :D I agree with Sara the workout may have been a little too exhausting for her. I think horses do better when they know what to expect from their human. consistancy is key. I know our girls do better when they are ridden regularly. Those times when we have to go a few weeks between rides it usually takes a few days to get them back into the knowing what to expect mindset. I think they like to have a job, something to do and when their left in a paddock/pasture for too long they just get excited. I guess I would too :lol:

Gingerrrrr 04-15-2008 11:32 PM

maybe 45 minuted was a bit intense but keep in mind that she hasn't been worked for about a year. (so i was told) the only times she really i guess you can say "ridden" was when my BO and my friend had ridden her a few times during the winter. other then that she hasn't had a real work out in quite awhile! but she looked like she really enjoyed it though.

Abby 04-15-2008 11:54 PM

I'm glad you had an awesome day, I love that. One think I'd be worried about is her injuring herself or being overworked because she hasn't been worked in so long, if you know what I mean. It's like you trying to run a few miles without stopping after having a winter off of no conditioning. You'll keel over haha. :wink:

I'm glad she was wonderful for you, I always cry when I get good days with my boy because I know I have to sell him but I still don't want to.

Gingerrrrr 04-16-2008 01:32 PM

i felt like she actually trusted me. she was listening and shes usually so hard headed, but i guess all she needed was to be worked. i was there for about 2 hours just fussing around with her. :D

Dumas'_Grrrl 04-16-2008 01:58 PM

Wonderful!!!!!!!! Glad you had such a nice day :D

I LOVE the rope halter!!!

saraequestrian 04-16-2008 05:37 PM

I agree with Abby. 45 minutes of cantering for a horse that hasn't been worked in a year is really unbelievable. You want to condition her up to intense workouts, not start her out on intense workouts. Besides, I think that's wayy too much work for any horse anyways.

Again, I think it's really important that she listens to you when she hasn't been worked out.

I'd start her on an exorcising program (on a lunge line, about 10 mins trot, and a couple minutes of canter both directions. or riding her w/t/c), that might help get her silly willie's out in a safe, unharmful way.

I'm glad you're addressing this problem, though! I know some people who don't fix bad habits and it drives me up the wall ahaha.

My2Geldings 04-16-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saraequestrian

I would not work a horse till it's almost passed out to get it to cooperate with me. You want the horse to WANT to cooperate, not just because it's tired.

I wouldn't work her so hard (45 minutes of cantering is beyond overworking) and then let her eat immediately after, it could cause colic.

Sounds like you're on the right track, though! Do the same thing you talked about in this post, minus the intense workout.

I agree. You have the right ideas in mind, you are just being to hard on your horse.

Gingerrrrr 04-16-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings
Quote:

Originally Posted by saraequestrian

I agree. You have the right ideas in mind, you are just being to hard on your horse.

i really wasnt forcing her to run. she was doing it herself.