The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Is this for real?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/real-79550/)

justjump 02-26-2011 07:04 PM

Is this for real?!

I'm not saying this horse is not worth this much, I just found it a little odd. I guess I'm not used to seeing horses priced this much on equine.com, or even around the AQHA world for that matter. Well, onto my little question!

I was extremely bored, and decided to look up some Warmbloods (just because I think they're really pretty!). Well, I came across this horse, priced at $137,000. Don't get me wrong, the horse is very pretty over fences, and just in general. But I just found it a little weird, considering I have seen horses that go around the arena that are just as fancy, if not fancier, and have won some titles, that haven't even gone for that much.

Perfect Gentleman /Hunter or Equitation | Buy this Horse at Equine.com

Like I said, I'm not bashing the horse at all! I've just never seen a horse priced at that much (with the exception of another horse priced at 250k that won a huge amount.. that I could see).
:-)
What do you think?

Hidalgo13 02-26-2011 07:10 PM

Hmm... I understand what you're are feeling... He must have some crazy amazing bloodlines because there is one TB horse at my barn who jumps just as good is 25 000... Maybe the breed has a role to play in the price... Hungarian Warmblood sounds fancy. They also could be trying to get higher but he's only worth like 80 000?! OR they misplaced one of the zero's... :P lol.

justjump 02-26-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hidalgo13 (Post 942466)
Hmm... I understand what you're are feeling... He must have some crazy amazing bloodlines because there is one TB horse at my barn who jumps just as good is 25 000... Maybe the breed has a role to play in the price... Hungarian Warmblood sounds fancy. They also could be trying to get higher but he's only worth like 80 000?! OR they misplaced one of the zero's... :P lol.

Who knows! I don't know much about the hunter world, so what it won could be huge, therefore upping the price. My friend's horse was originally going for 65,000. This horse is drop dead gorgeous, will literally haul your butt around and be perfect around the course, quiet at can be, beautiful form, great personality, and once again, quiet and broke as can be. He also won a bunch, probably had over 1,000 AQHA points. However, when they were selling him, they turned down a 45,000 offer (they were insane) because they wanted her to show at the congress. After the Congress, nobody wanted to buy him because he was "too much money". They ended up selling him for 20,000. If I would've known that, I would've bought him... UGH. But honestly, that horse could've been worth more. He wins everything he goes into. :(

justjump 02-26-2011 08:01 PM

bump(:

equiniphile 02-27-2011 08:29 PM

I think someone's hoping to get lucky. It's a very nice horse, but not a $137k horse IMO.

upnover 02-27-2011 08:39 PM

Welcome to the world of hunters/equitation. :-) $137,000 for a Maclay (top equitation) horse is NOTHING. That's right, more often then not, a solid Maclay horse is closer to $400,000. A horse that is competitive in the Big Eqs AND can do well in the hunters could be worth even more. The fact that this horse is only $137k makes me wonder if he's a better Children's horse (3") instead of a Junior horse (3"6). But a fancy Children's horse at that, esp if he's winning at HITS, etc.

One of the clients at the barn is looking for a horse to do the Large Juniors (3"6) and her budget is $125,000. She's having a really hard time finding a good one in her budget.

equiniphile 02-27-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upnover (Post 943712)
Welcome to the world of hunters/equitation. :-) $137,000 for a Maclay (top equitation) horse is NOTHING. That's right, more often then not, a solid Maclay horse is closer to $400,000. A horse that is competitive in the Big Eqs AND can do well in the hunters could be worth even more. The fact that this horse is only $137k makes me think he's more of a Children's horse (3") instead of a Junior horse (3"6).

One of the clients at the barn is looking for a horse to do the Large Juniors (3"6) and her budget is $125,000. She's having a hard time finding a good one in her budget.

Wow. I've never spent more than 1k on a horse :lol:

JustDressageIt 02-27-2011 08:53 PM

Top horses in their sports are extremely high priced. It is not unusual to see competitive hunters in the A circuit to start at $50,000 for a cheaper horse that may not pin at every show. For the winning horses, you're looking at upwards of hundred thousand or more. Jumpers its much the same story, getting into hundreds of thousands for an international horse.
The prices don't shock me at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

justjump 02-27-2011 09:10 PM

Wow... That's crazy... Then maybe it's just where I live. I need to get into this hunter stuff!
Posted via Mobile Device

upnover 02-27-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 943717)
Wow. I've never spent more than 1k on a horse :lol:

Most of the shows that these horses are competing in are several thousand a show. and lots of them show practically every other weekend. so if you think about it, it takes BIG BUCKS to find a horse that will be competitive at these kinds of shows!