The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to stop a kicking yearling

15K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mls 
#1 ·
She kicks at you every time you go in the stall and when she is in the pasture, she is becoming a real problem and I have tried wacking her back and correcting her when se does it but nothing seems to work. HELP!

#3 ·
Get yourself one of those little plastic bags that they hand out in the grocery store and put it in your pocket.

As you see the young horse looking at you like you are the play toy start to just wiggle that bag around a bit.

Maybe shuffle your feet some and make a little noise and puff yourself up to make yourself a bit bigger.

If the horse still does not back off tie the bag on the end of a lead rope and spin it some.

Let me know how it works.

#5 ·
Get yourself one of those little plastic bags that they hand out in the grocery store and put it in your pocket.

As you see the young horse looking at you like you are the play toy start to just wiggle that bag around a bit.

Maybe shuffle your feet some and make a little noise and puff yourself up to make yourself a bit bigger.

If the horse still does not back off tie the bag on the end of a lead rope and spin it some.

Let me know how it works.
Word of caution on using ANYTHING that makes noise. My 25 year old gelding's previous owner tried the bag trick to 'desensitize' him, nearly 20 years later he still gets worked up at the sound of anything similar. It took me a long time to be able to remove my hat or be handed anything while I was on him. He thought that bag was going to get him.

I don't blame him. Certainly not something found in nature.

OP - I need more information in order to offer any advice. WHY is the yearling trying to kick you? What are you doing or trying to do? Kicking is a defensive move. The horse is nervous or upset about something.

#4 ·
Hello, I had bought her about six months ago and what we have been doing is taking the halter on and off, grooming, picking up the feet (which hasn't been bad). We go for walks, we practice walking and stoping, I don't work very long with her tho because she doesnt have a very long attention span. I have had babies before and the most recent was an arabian that was 3 months old that was a rescue, never had this problem before. The baby I have now is a thoroughbred filly. Since she has been kicking I put the halter and lead rope on when I go in the stall because if I don't keep her towards me or controled she will kick. She was always rowdy and high spirited and always kicked around when she was younger but now she has gone to doing it to people. She doesnt just cow kick or throw little kicks, if she runs by you in the pasture she will throw both back legs and I am worried because it almost go tme in the face! I have done work with all my horses in a round pen and buy lunging to gain respect and all my other horses never step out of line. I do not have a round pen anymore so I have limited areas to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.