The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   how do you pay for your lessons? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/how-do-you-pay-your-lessons-79632/)

myhorseriesen 02-27-2011 04:34 PM

how do you pay for your lessons?

ok so i just started taking lessons at a new barn and it is alot more expensive then my old barn and i was wondering how do you guys pay for your lessons? thank you so much!

Delfina 02-27-2011 04:46 PM

I write my trainer a check. Since I board with her, at the end of each month she gives me a bill for how much I owe her in lessons/training for the previous month and my board for the next month.

MyBoyPuck 02-27-2011 06:20 PM

Lessons?? Who can afford lessons?? I barely have enough money to feed myself at the end of the month, so I'm mostly self taught.

vikki92 02-27-2011 06:38 PM

i took jumping lesson for 2 yrs, becasue i was brought up in westren but my dream was to jump, so i worked at the barn (fed the horses, mucked out all the stalls etc.) for lessons.

EmilyandNikki 02-27-2011 07:28 PM

This year I work part-time and am in high school, so I just budget out my money.

Last year I literally saved every Penney and cut corners where ever I could to give me extra money. With a little help from Mom I managed to pay for my lessons.

Lonannuniel 02-27-2011 07:35 PM

Me & my parents have an agreement - They pay board and half lessons, and I pay half lessons and any extras, tack, or shows. I pay in cash after every lesson. This requires me to save every penny, literally. I haven't spent a dime on anything non-horse related in over 7 months. With my old trainer, I would worked off my half of lessons, but unfortunately, I can't with my current trainer =(

wafflestheunicorn 02-27-2011 08:16 PM

i muck stalls

raywonk 02-27-2011 08:39 PM

When I was your age I started my own bussnes. I put up a flyer in my barn offering to groom and lunge other peoples horses when they could not. I also would clean thier tack and anything eles they needed. I got quiet a bit of exctra income from the adults (like me now) who can not get to the barn as much as they would like. I could make a hunderd a week sometimes.

equiniphile 02-27-2011 08:43 PM

I'll be putting up my tack cleaning flyers in the local tack shops to pay for Excel's eventing lessons

anrz 02-27-2011 09:13 PM

I am able to work off the costs of leasing, shows, and part of lesson costs- it's hard work but if you want it bad enough you can make it happen. I also get a lot of rides on boarder horses when they need to be ridden or if their owners are out of town, so that may be a plus once people see how dedicated you are!
If you are prepared to work hard, I would check with the instructors there to see if you could arrange something to pay for lessons.