The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New bit for 4yo green gelding?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  brackabrack 
#1 ·
I am new here and seeking help with my new 4yo COB X Tb, gelding. Hes very green but forward and wants to learn. unfortunately when he gets bored and wants to pull me somewhere in the school i have no say in the matter what so ever. He is currently in a snaffle but i would like something a tad stronger, but not too much because he does listen when we first go into the school. Any advise would be very much welcomed...
I have been recommended an 'action snaffle'. but i dont think he needs something so strong just yet. Is there an alternative?

Please note: I have had bracken on part loan for 3 weeks, and officially bought him today to save him from a gypsy dealer. He is a gentleman on the ground, but in the 'stroppy teenager' stage when being ridden. The previous owner had him 12 months. Bought him from a field, and didn't do much more after. I dont usually like young horses, I prefer something that's been there and raced or hunted.. Any help with my baby would be very happily welcomed.!

Thank you
Natasha & Bracken
xxx

#2 ·
I've had a lot of success with roller bits like this when mine were just a bit too forward in a regular snaffle but I wanted to not go much harsher. At his age he will just need miles put on him. He should learn to soften as he learns to work in his tack more.

#3 ·
Thank you apachiedragon I will give him a whirl with that. I shall be posting regular with brackens progress ! :D ! xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.