The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Does anyone else want a career in horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/does-anyone-else-want-career-horses-79680/)

Jore 02-28-2011 10:01 AM

Does anyone else want a career in horses?

I was just thinking about what I want to do after high school, and I came up with a master plan. :)

I would love to take a couple equine courses. I want to take one on English riding, one on pyschology (can't remember where I saw that), business management (in case I want to start a clinic or something) and a course on animal physio... since I'd like to be an equine physiotherapist and work at racetracks in Kentucky. :) I'll have to research courses and universities a little more though. I did see one university where you can board your horse right on campus for only $1400 more.

I also want to take on a yearling maybe in my second or third year. :)

Does anyone else have or want a career related to horses?

Lonannuniel 02-28-2011 10:40 AM

I would love a horse career! I tend to model myself after my trainer, who I think has a brilliant life...but apparently ( according to father ) that life isn't 'good' enough and that he wants to see better. * rolls eyes* anyway, I am hoping to be a trainer...with a team..and a stables...preferably with a few million in the bank ;P haha.

I am also looking into the equine science & farrier science courses at olds in Alberta - There are 4 courses in the equine sciences (coaching major, english & western major, production & breeding major, and buisness & event major) that I am planning to take after a year of being a working student at a local stables. Plus the farrier science ( which is sort of optional at the moment). I also want to do a few equine therapy courses...as long as my available funds are in my favor

Jore 02-28-2011 12:43 PM

I also want to be a trainer, though I think the physio would be my main priority. When I told my mom, I was really surprised when she said "go for it" because she's the parent who thinks anything less than a 95 is horrid... so I figured she wouldn't be too impressed.

I also really want to find a university that has equestrian teams. I did find one, and it looks really awesome. It's called Virginia Intermont College. :) It looks like it has really good courses.

Katesrider011 02-28-2011 01:08 PM

I honestly have no clue what I want to do. I know I want something that has something to with horses, but I don't know what. I don't want anything thats extremely hard to get into. I'm thinking along the lines of becoming a cop, and joining the mounted police force.

Salila 02-28-2011 02:07 PM

I'm looking into getting a certification as a professional stable manager. :)

HorseChic 02-28-2011 03:32 PM

Yeah, i would love it, but i doubt it would happen :(

Remudamom 02-28-2011 03:45 PM

Well, I sorta almost have a career in horses. We own a cattle ranch, and part of my job was to train and manage our remuda. I was in charge of foaling, feeding, starting and putting miles on our horses. Since it's our family business I don't get a paycheck but I have lots of reasons/excuses to be with the horses.

Generally I would do all the groundwork prep before starting under saddle. Then under my supervision one of our sons or my husband would do the first few rides, usually in the round pen with me in the center or on a line. Then I'd take over again to put miles on the horse. So when we needed the horses for cattle work I'd tell who to ride who and knew what each horse was capable of doing.

We don't use the horses on a day to day basis anymore, but still have a handful just in case we need them for the ranch. Sadly, it's quicker and more efficient to move the cattle with a feed truck and an ATV following, but occasionally we still use the horses.

eta- I also rode/trained a little bit for others.

Uma 02-28-2011 08:05 PM

I am looking hard core right now because I am nearing the time when I have to make a decision. I really want to be a trainer/riding instructor for hunter/jumpers. That's my dream. But it's hard because of money and opportunity and seeing if the major would actually sustain me outside of college.

equiniphile 02-28-2011 08:06 PM

I'm striving to be a large animal vet.

Iseul 02-28-2011 08:46 PM

I'd like to be a barn owner of a large boarding barn, a trainer/instructor, and have certifications in both farrier work and equine massage. I'll most likely be going to school for something in graphic or interior design though. It's cheaper that way, and I don't need a degree for anything horse, just experience.(:
Posted via Mobile Device