The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bad Little Buckers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bad-little-buckers-79683/)

Piper182 02-28-2011 12:56 PM

Bad Little Buckers

Hey, so I was thinking about this and I wanted to pose the question for all.

How do you stop a bucker?

Personally, I get on the horse western in a roundpen, give rein, hold on tight and kick. That horse runs until they want to buck. When they buck at that speed, they will almost fall to their faces. It usually takes one try for them to figure out that bucking is a bad way to tell me they don't like something.

It's not normal and people think I'm insane for it, but it works wonders since the horse teaches himself.

What do you all do?

kpptt2001 02-28-2011 01:17 PM

My hunter used to try to throw the odd buck when he had some pent up energy and was playful. I could feel when he was about to do it, and catch him before he could by holding him up, giving leg (not kicking however) and asking him to move forward. A buck is essentially an upward energy, asking him to use his energy productively and move forward (instead of upward) and catching it before it can happen is essential. I can count on only one hand the amount of times he has tried to buck with me on him, all of which occurred quite some time ago. He has learned that he can't get away with it and doesn’t even bother to try anymore. My guy was pretty easy to train out of, other horses I know can be much more of a handful – lucky for me, I have not had to deal with that type…yet.

Salila 02-28-2011 01:45 PM

My gelding has only tried to throw me once, and I sat through it, and it never happened again.

However, I'd say that a decent way to handle it is as kpptt said. By getting the horse to use that energy and tension in a different way, or by distracting the horse with a new command, you throw them off a bit. I myself would probably ask the horse to turn a sharp corner or turn circles when I feel the horse preparing to buck, but asking them to back up or perform a side pass would change their center of gravity enough that they wouldn't be capable of throwing a buck, and if they started to tense up again, just throw them another curve ball.

paintluver 02-28-2011 01:59 PM

When my horses buck, I pull their heads up and make them work after they have bucked. Romeo threw me one day and we cantered circles for an extra 10 minutes that day. He hasn't tried again yet.

lilruffian 02-28-2011 02:18 PM

Usually when my horses buck it's because they dont want to do something (running, for ex.) so i simply make em do it! lol Push em until they buck, grab rein & turn em in a tight spin until they stop & then force em out again into a run (if that's what's peeving em). It usually only takes once & they stop but most horses dont like to spin & so they see it as something bad that comes with bucking.

ButtInTheDirt 02-28-2011 07:20 PM

It depends what for. If the horse is bucking in frustration, wanting me to get off, I'd most likely pull one rein to stop them, plus try and ride it through. Usually I won't ride any horse that is the least bit bucky, as I am a chicken being thrown off of my gelding so many times.

But if the horse just jumps as if it is spooked, I will try and ride it through. Of course if the horse bolts, I'd try and stop it. But there is no use in punishing the horse if they were scared, that just teaches them to me more scared. But I suppose not doing anything might teach them it is right to spook, but it's better than an even more scared horse, I suppose.

The only times these didn't work was when I was younger and was taken off guard, and when my horse pulled me under a crab apple tree and I was too tall to really do anything. Another time was when I was riding bareback, pretty much sleeping on the back of a stocky quarter horse (I had a pillow and everything) and he decided to back up because he was spooked, and off I went. xD

banman 02-28-2011 11:26 PM

i know one way that works for me but you have to know how to ride it out and only use one hand! what you do is take a warm egg and when the horse bucks you crack the egg over its head this makes the horse think that he hit his head and is bleading, this takes a couple of times but it works, also i never try and hold the horse back (if its a green horse) i let them go do what they gotta do eventualy they realize its getting them no where, but this is only if you can stay on.

christopher 03-01-2011 01:39 AM

yeah. if your confident you can sit through it all, just sit through it, wait for them to relax (at whatever gait you want, as long as it's relaxed), then stand still for a while then get off.

if not, 1 rein stop, relax (at whatever gait you want, as long as it's relaxed), then get off.

Hunter65 03-01-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banman (Post 945278)
i know one way that works for me but you have to know how to ride it out and only use one hand! what you do is take a warm egg and when the horse bucks you crack the egg over its head this makes the horse think that he hit his head and is bleading, this takes a couple of times but it works, also i never try and hold the horse back (if its a green horse) i let them go do what they gotta do eventualy they realize its getting them no where, but this is only if you can stay on.

I thought the egg thing was for rearing, kinda hard to reach their head during a buck isn't it?

christopher 03-02-2011 12:57 AM

the idea with the egg may work, but it's a bit weird for me. good old fashioned psychology is best IMO.