The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Pneumabort shots? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/pneumabort-shots-7974/)

whinruss 04-16-2008 04:29 PM

Pneumabort shots?

Hey guys. I've got a quick question (or maybe not). My mare is due for her pneumabort shot, but I am not sure if this is necessary. She had the shot at 3 and 5 months. At her 5 month ultrasound, the vet wasn't sure if she was 5 months or not. He said she could be further (After 2 years of unsuccessful AI we did a natural breeding this year leaving the two in a field for 1 month). Anyways, she has already started to bag because she normally goes early. Do you think a pneumabort shot is necessary or not? With gas prices like they are in our area ($4.25 a gallon for diesel), this one vet trip will be very costly for one shot. I am against shots from feed stores. Working at one, I know that sometimes the truck drives do not pay attention to try to keep them cool nor do all employees put the in a refrigerator after receiving them. I have known many animals to get sick even after being vaccinated with shots from feed stores. So that is not an option. Any comments on this?

Vidaloco 04-17-2008 08:08 AM

Can you get the shot from your vet and give it to her yourself? That might save a little not having to haul her to the vet. I've never used the medi so can't help you out there.

whinruss 04-17-2008 02:21 PM

Well, I have to go to the vet anyways because of her caslicks. But everything has been so natural about the pregnancy with her only receiving a 3 month pneumabort. Has anyone ever heard anything bad about this shot?

Dave 04-18-2008 05:45 PM

shot

sorry but im kinda dum what is this shot as ive never heard of it or used it that i can recall

whinruss 04-21-2008 10:41 AM

It is a shot against rhino for both mare and baby. I just think it might be a waste of money.