The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Help!! Death by diarrhea (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-death-diarrhea-7980/)

Stubby3 04-16-2008 05:31 PM

Help!! Death by diarrhea

We bought a horse 7 months ago. Poop was good when we got it. We wormed it a month after we got it. It started having diarrhea not long after that. We used proboics. It got better but not like the poop was when the horse got here. The horse got a infection. We used penicillian. THe horse, of course got diarrhea. Used probois. About 3 montha ago the horse still had diarrhea. The vet came out, did fecal check and blood work. The only thing was no bacteria in the gut. I understand, makes sence. He said use oats, and probois for 3 months. We have done this for the last 3 weeks. The poop did start to get like cow patties about 1 week later. Now the horse started eating grass 1 and 1/2 weeks ago. Pure liquid. We are still using probois. Nothing is working. We were just told today by our farrier to use beet pulp. PLease help, our horse is wasting away. He still eats and drinks fine. Please HELP!!

Harlee rides horses 04-16-2008 07:16 PM

Talk to your vet.

Abby 04-16-2008 08:44 PM

Beet pulp will help gain weight but not solidify feces, in fact the opposite. I would call your vet as soon as you can, they can help give you something to produce solid feces I'm sure. Have your feed changes been VERY gradual or did you just start pouring oats in the bucket?

You should ideally do feed changes like that in a course of weeks.

It is very possible that the horse could starve and and die from having diarrhea but it is most common in horses that are older.

How old is your horse?

My2Geldings 04-16-2008 09:16 PM

Keep getting your vet out there. There is something going on and you need to figure it out before you horse gets so dehydrated that it puts him in an even more critical situation.

NorthernMama 04-16-2008 09:53 PM

Read this post on EMG for some input:
http://www.equiman.com/cgi-bin/ubb/F...ML/005107.html

PoptartShop 04-16-2008 10:12 PM

Yeah, I agree- have a close contact with your vet right now.

Ryle 04-16-2008 10:53 PM

Did your vet run a fecal culture? How did he diagnose "no bacteria in the gut"? What did you deworm with before this started?

I would truthfully be getting a 2nd opinion including a fecal culture.
And talk to your vet about putting your horse on a complete feed that is designed to be easier to digest than regular feeds.

Stubby3 04-17-2008 05:13 AM

The horse is 12 years old. We used invermicin,. The vet put on a long plastic glove and ran his arm up his rectum, pulling back a sample. He called us the next day. He is the only vet around here. I do not trust him, that is why I'm looking for other help. The oats change didnt go for weeks, more like 1 and a 1/2 weeks. But he had been getting better, poop was like cow patties before he started eating grass. Now nothing is helping him get solid. The vet also did a blood sample, found nothing.

Vidaloco 04-17-2008 05:52 AM

I would get him on a complete feed (pellet) and get him off the grass. Do you have someplace you can keep him so he only gets grass hay? Maybe let him have grass for an hour or so each day then back to hay. The probios should help a bunch I would definitly keep that up. If you do change his feed do it gradually. Hope he gets better, keep us up to date please.

Stubby3 04-17-2008 09:44 AM

ok, I'll give that a try. Thank you