The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Posture Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/posture-critique-79809/)

shermyj1199 03-01-2011 04:35 PM

Posture Critique

2 Attachment(s)
I would love to know what others think about my posture. The lady where i board says theres nothing more she can teach me so mabey some people on here can help. I know my toes point out offten my horse needs alot of encouragement to move lol (bad excuse i know)

Just tell me what you think. I have been showing for 7 Years western and huntseat pleasure. and some Horsemanship.

ErikaLynn 03-01-2011 04:44 PM

In the English photo, I think your legs are too far back. Instead of bringing your leg back to make your horse move forward just lift your heal squeeze his belly with your heal.

I think you should carry your hands more, lift them up and try not to bury them into the front of the saddle. Also you should keep your shoulders back and head up.

Last I think your saddle is too small for you. It might be the angle of the picture, I'm not sure.

Great job otherwise.

x Branded Heart x 03-01-2011 06:33 PM

Your posture in the western photo looks fine, but in the english it could use some work.

To start, I would like to see your hands further up on the reins so they are more out in front of you. Right now, your hand is almost touching the knee-roll on the saddle, when it should be up a few inches on the reins.

Also, I can see that your too-small saddle is causing your seat and leg to go a little wonky. Your foot has twisted awkwardly and is in a weird spot, and it is too small of a saddle for your leg length.

I can't complain too much about your upper body though, although I think you would look much better overall with these quick fixes ^^ :)

I like how you're looking up ahead and seem to have a tall, more upright posture (rather than the exaggerated leaning forward often seen in the hunter ring). Keep up the great work, and get a bigger saddle!

justjump 03-01-2011 06:43 PM

I agree with the two posts ahead of me. In the hunter one, pull your shoulders back. And check your lines, your leg needs to be a tad bit more forward, and your hands need to be picked up just a hair. (:
Posted via Mobile Device

ocalagirl 03-01-2011 08:45 PM

I love your horse! I think you could use some work on your English, but nothing fatal. Your leg is too far back, possibly a result of you being too far forward. If you draw a line from ear to ankle, you will see that the line is straight but forward. For the type of English riding you do (judging on the other horses), I think your hands are okay. Were it me I'd pick them up and forward just a little bit. Also, eyes up! I bet you would really flourish in the hunter/jumper world if you wanted. Just find a good hunter trainer and you're set ;) Of course I am biased.

equiniphile 03-01-2011 09:13 PM

You guys look good and your horse is gorgeous. I'd like to point out that unless you have purchased the picture, we're not allowed to post photo proofs on the forum ;-)

tinyliny 03-01-2011 10:55 PM

you look great Western. Just sit your English horse more or less with the same relaxes manner and you'll do well. Super horse and I think you all ought to do dressage. Hands, placement is only slightly low and "weak" but do NOT put them straight out like you see a lot of hunter folks do. THAT is incorrect.

shermyj1199 03-07-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErikaLynn (Post 946286)
In the English photo, I think your legs are too far back. Instead of bringing your leg back to make your horse move forward just lift your heal squeeze his belly with your heal.

I think you should carry your hands more, lift them up and try not to bury them into the front of the saddle. Also you should keep your shoulders back and head up.

Last I think your saddle is too small for you. It might be the angle of the picture, I'm not sure.

Great job otherwise.

If you look at all the other horses they are still at a trot i think this was taken just as the announcer called for a canter and i was still giving him the cue...he likes to leap into it so that prolly why he is collected so nicely lol.

Okay i will definitely work on my hands.

I donít normally ride in this saddle i just purchased my own hunt saddle that fits much nicer.

shermyj1199 03-07-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 946624)
You guys look good and your horse is gorgeous. I'd like to point out that unless you have purchased the picture, we're not allowed to post photo proofs on the forum ;-)

I did buy it. I was just to lazy to scann it onto my computer. Sorry. wasnt aware.

shermyj1199 03-07-2011 10:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ocalagirl (Post 946581)
I love your horse! I think you could use some work on your English, but nothing fatal. Your leg is too far back, possibly a result of you being too far forward. If you draw a line from ear to ankle, you will see that the line is straight but forward. For the type of English riding you do (judging on the other horses), I think your hands are okay. Were it me I'd pick them up and forward just a little bit. Also, eyes up! I bet you would really flourish in the hunter/jumper world if you wanted. Just find a good hunter trainer and you're set ;) Of course I am biased.

I put in a couple more pictures that i purchaced this mite help see my lines a little better. : ] Thanks! He just loves to jump but has a problem getting his butt off the ground. lol. He was trained for training level dressage but we stick mainly to western now.

Forgot to mention these are from 2009 show season the ones above are 2010 show season