The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Shedding time! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/shedding-time-79859/)

WhoaMare 03-02-2011 01:29 AM

Shedding time!

Here in Texas it is that time of year again where the horses start taking off their coats and getting ready for warm weather! As much as i love slick and shiny ponies, I cannot say I am a huge fan of being covered in their hair, lol. Given that I groom about 10 horses per day (training horses- give or take as they come and go), you can imagine what I look like when I come home :shock:. I've been coughing up furballs for the past few days too. I can't wait until it is actually warm enough to hose them down. That generally helps some of the loose hair come off and the bonus is that when I brush them wet it doesn't fly up in my face :lol:. Until then, I suppose I will continue to collect fur on my clothes and cough up furballs to rival my cat.

Next on the agenda will be trimming fetlocks and bridle paths on my own babies...after their first baths of the season.

ScharmLily 03-02-2011 08:58 AM

I can definitely relate! I got a MOUND of hair of my two horses yesterday, then went to ride a horse that I am training for someone and got covered in that horse's hair! I am soooo looking foward to sleek, shiny summer coats, and no more shaggy monsters :) Yeah, once I'm sure that the warmer weather really is here I need to trim my horses up too!

Citrus 03-02-2011 08:59 AM

I know there is a product/supplement that you can feed your horse to help them shed out quicker..... not sure what it is called but maybe that would help?

sunedee 03-02-2011 09:55 AM

A shop-vac is a wonderful thing! My horses really like the feeling. I've got the cheap little curry attachment and it works great.

The Furminator also works great for getting tons of hair off. I have to be careful though, it can hurt if I get too carried away. The horses definitely prefer the shop-vac.

barrelburner06 03-02-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunedee (Post 947230)
A shop-vac is a wonderful thing! My horses really like the feeling. I've got the cheap little curry attachment and it works great.

The Furminator also works great for getting tons of hair off. I have to be careful though, it can hurt if I get too carried away. The horses definitely prefer the shop-vac.

That's a great idea. I'm gonna try that out. We brushed out our horses yesterday and it was a hairy mess...lol

Alwaysbehind 03-02-2011 03:30 PM

I agree about the shop vac.

I think horses are shedding all over the country. I know up here in NY they are shedding too. The amount of day light hours is what encourages the coat change, not the temperatures (which are still way too freaking cold).

drafteventer 03-02-2011 03:38 PM

We're not shedding where I live in NY! I wish though!
I've been wanting to try the vacuum on my horses :p

Alwaysbehind 03-02-2011 03:40 PM

Of my three, one is shedding like a total freak. (The one who has not worn a blanket all winter.) One is starting to shed. One is not shedding at all.

Walkamile 03-02-2011 04:24 PM

I am actually longing for shedding time! Mine are the last to shed out in my area, or so it seems. My place is in a hollow, and the temps are a bit different from above and below me. Anyway, can't believe I envy those of you coughing up hair balls!

WhoaMare 03-03-2011 12:05 AM

Not sure about using a vacuum on my horses. I don't know how they would take that, lol. I have a friend who uses a furminator on hers and loves it. I usually just use a shedding blade, curry combs, and some elbow grease- you know- the old school method :lol:. I might have to try the vacuum though. Just one more "scary thing" I can introduce them too. I am always trying to come up with new stuff to desensitize with :twisted:. If I can get some hair off without being covered in it, that's a total bonus!