The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Mounting horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/mounting-horses-79868/)

apachewhitesox 03-02-2011 04:10 AM

Mounting horses

Ok so I 've read and heard that your supposed to avoid toeing or kicking your horse as you mount. I don't know how to avoid doing this. As I mount I nearly always touch my horse to some extent when I get on. I was just wondering if there really is a way to avoid this or do just try not to do too much. Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid I really want to know. Thanks

mbender 03-02-2011 05:10 AM

I've seen cowboys turn the stirrup outward and then step in. Otherwise tie a rope to a tree and the other end to your belt loop and gently pull yourself up and into the saddle. One way or another, you shouldn't bump the horses side.
Posted via Mobile Device

CowboyBoots 03-02-2011 06:42 AM

Just like mbender said, turn the stirrup out, put the ball of your foot on the stirrup, hold the reign and the mane in your left hand (make sure your reign has some slack in it, you don't want to be putting any pressure on your horses mouth or head while you mount), grab a hold of the saddle on the opposite side of your horse with your right hand. Now use your right arm and your left leg to boost yourself up and into your saddle. If your horse is moving around while you try to mount, then you need to address this as well. Horses, for their safety and yours need to stand still while mounting and not be so sensitive that if you do bang them while mounting that it is an issue for them.

apachewhitesox 03-02-2011 06:50 AM

oh ok my boy backs up a little when you stand next to him to get on but he stops pretty quickly. Luckily for me he doesn't really react to my foot touching him when mounting him cause I'm still trying to get the hang of it.

CowboyBoots 03-02-2011 07:01 AM

lol, i thought that might be the case, that he was moving around when your trying to mount. WHat is he like generally, does he try to leave when you go to get him, does he wait for you or does he come to greet you?

mbender 03-02-2011 07:09 AM

I'm too short to use the stirrups! So I use a bucket to get up. But if I had to use the stirrup that's what I would do too. Might take some practice.
Posted via Mobile Device

apachewhitesox 03-02-2011 07:37 AM

sometimes he almost comes running up then sometimes he will run off but will soon stop (i think thats more a habit my mare got him into) then other times he will just stand there until you go to him. He does the first one most. He normally does the backing up when im just standing there but will stop then stand still once my foots in the stirrup though he did do it once when i tried to put my foot in the stirrup but he has improved since then. I usually stand on something too but dont have anything i can use at the moment i kind of suck at getting on lol.

CowboyBoots 03-02-2011 07:51 AM

Sounds like you just need to work on having him stand still! If you've asked him to stand and he moves off the spot, gently ask him back to the same spot and give him a rub, do this a few times and he'll soon figure it out that staying stopped is a good place for him. WHen you mount, I forgot to mention, get him to spread his forelegs by gripping the saddle horn (facing his ribs) and push it away and towards you until he moves his forefeet, this is better for him as he can control his balance as your weight comes onto one side of him, practise mounting until it's fluid and you kiss the saddle with your butt like a buttefly, not a sack of spuds, if you need to improve your fitness to do this, then put the hard yards in! :) I'm fortunate to count one of NZ's top horseman as a friend and I remember discussing people's mounting issues once and he said "If yer not fit enough to get in the saddle from the ground, yer aint fit enough to ride" obviously not including those with physical disabilities. DO the work and do it every day that you can and you'll get there!

apachewhitesox 03-02-2011 07:57 AM

thanks he is sometimes a fdgety sort of horse. I think i sit down in the saddle like a feather not a sack of spuds personally and no one has told me otherwise. Also its not that I can't physically get up in saddle due to fitness its more im kind of unco about it sometimes if that makes sense.

trynottofall 03-02-2011 03:14 PM

I would just try turning the stirrup out and getting on that way, but some horses just don't like to stand still when you are mounting. If you do not have a mounting block already that might be a good investment, although sometimes they can be too short to be effective depending on the size of your horse. Just try to be more gentle getting on and he should not mind it too much. If you just tap him, he is not likely to mind too much, although if you can avoid doing it at all that would be best. Good luck!