The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   riding horses with vices (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/riding-horses-vices-79888/)

gksohyes 03-02-2011 10:10 AM

riding horses with vices

have any of you ridden/owned horses with vices? how did it affect you/your horse during riding?
one of the horses I ride is a really terrible windsucker, so bad that his teeth are practically little nubs and if he lifts his head while drinking water is just falls right out of his mouth :-( it doesnt really affect him so much when we are riding but he is a huge pain to bridle because he'll be totally focused on his cribbing. unfortunately, because he isn't my horse, there isn't much i can do to help him

Whisper22 03-02-2011 10:43 AM

I also have a horse that cribs, I don't really see that as something that would affect you while riding though. That's sad that his teeth are little nubs. I use the miracle collar and while I have heard a lot of negative things on this forum I think it works great. She wears it all the time except when I'm there. I take it off and I've left it off for a few days before but that's usually how long it takes for her to realise she can do it again. That can also cause them to colic, if they crib on and off like that, so I typically will just leave it off for a few hours and put it back on before I leave. IMO, that is better than letting them ruin their teeth. I know you said it's not your horse but maybe you can mention it to the owner.

MIEventer 03-02-2011 10:46 AM

I don't get why people dislike the cribbing collar? I agree with you, if it prevents the habit from occuring, then what's wrong with using it?

I used to ride a TB mare who was a cribber, beautiful girl, and I used the Cribbing Muzzle on her and that worked well. But as stated, her vice never effected our riding.

The horse mentioned in the OP, is sad :( Little nubby teeth :(

.Delete. 03-02-2011 10:53 AM

I too had a chronic cribber. He would rather crib then eat. It got to the point where i had to get a heavy duty PONY cribbing collar and put it on nearly the last notch for him to stop. (Mind you it was reenforced with heavy duty cotton) We tried every kind of humane cribbing collar / device / whatever you could imagine. That was the only thing that stopped it. He also wore his teeth down to little nubs. Pumpkin mouth is what its called. As far as it effecting your riding i really see that happening

gksohyes 03-02-2011 11:01 AM

my horse's cribbing does affect our riding from time to time, but not often enough to be a problem since i try to pay attention when we walk or stop to take a break. if he thinks i'm not paying attention he'll look for something in the arena that he might be able to grab on to

.Delete. 03-02-2011 11:04 AM

I wouldnt really say thats is affecting your riding tho. Thats the same as a horse who is looking to nibble on some grass while your riding.

ptvintage 03-02-2011 11:20 AM

My mare cribs and wears a cribbing collar. I also don't understand why people have so much issue with the collar. Make sure it doesn't rub, and you're go to go. The only reason I would want it off is to pretend in my perfect world that she doesn't crib. Oh, if only...

But no, it doesn't effect my riding her at all. If I'm distracted and not paying attention she might start mouthing the railing, but she's never cribbed with me next to her.

Very sad about the poor horse's teeth though. That'll be something I'll be cautious of with my mare.