The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Accepting myself.. (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/accepting-myself-79920/)

paintsrule 03-02-2011 04:19 PM

Accepting myself..

I cant accept myself.

Everytime I look in the mirror I think "Gosh, you're ugly," and its really taking its toll on me. I dont know what to do, but its got me way down..

Im 16, 5 foot 6 and weigh around 115 pounds, so not stick thin but not fat (I dont think).

The main problem is well, obviously, myself. I hate how I look, dress, dont wear makeup, everything. I dont like who I am looks wise and am always jealous of people who seem to have it together. I guess I dont know how to change, or even if I want to change very drastically. I just want to be happy with myself. :/

Any advice? Please?
Oh and I'm a sophomore, if that matters.

P.s. the reason I didnt post this in the teen talk section is because I would LOVE some adult perspective as well.

Poseidon 03-02-2011 04:26 PM

I'm sorry to say I don't have much advice, but I can guarantee your size is NOWHERE near fat. I'm almost 19, 5'7" and currently weigh about 113lbs. I finally gained back weight from when I was sick in July and dropped to 105. If anything, you're tiny. :P

But you're also 16. Learning to accept yourself and grow into yourself is part of growing up.

texasgal 03-02-2011 04:28 PM

I want to start out by saying that you can stop being jealous of people who seem to have it all together .... 'cause they DON'T!!

I usually don't visit these questions, because when I was your age, I felt the exact same way. I think alot, if not MOST teens do at some point, while they are trying to "find themselves".

It sounds corny to say that you are special and nobody else in the whole world is like you ... but it's true.

Go ahead and play with the hair, makeup, clothes until you find something you are comfortable with .. it'll all come together in the next year or two ..

I'm going to quit sounding like a mom now ... *smile*

paintsrule 03-02-2011 06:38 PM

Thanks you two. These responses made me smile. :)

Poseidon- Yeah my weight is the one thing I am comfortable with about myself most times. At least theres something.

Texasgal- You dont sound like a mom. You are saying what I need to hear. (which moms can sometimes do haha). Thank you for your encouragement. I guess I will just have to suffer through these akward teen years and wait and work to get some things figured out. I cant wait.

I'm gonna go shopping for some light makeup stuff later. Wish me luck..

Poseidon 03-02-2011 06:51 PM

If you're getting makeup, I'd get some mascara and eyeliner. Very simple and you can get it really cheap and it makes a huge difference. I only wear eye makeup because I hate the feeling of foundation or anything else on my face. Mascara makes a hugeee difference on my eyes.

And depending on your eye colour, with eyeliner/eyeshadow, you can manipulate the colour of your eyes. I have hazel, so if I wear purple eyeshadow, my eyes look really green. A couple of brands have specific products for making your eye colour pop. Those can get kind of pricey, so I'd say experiment with cheaper stuff first.

Ray MacDonald 03-02-2011 07:05 PM

I understand how you feel! I'm 16 too lol and I'm a pretty shy person and some days I just think "Wow! I don't look good in this!" But do try to experiment with your style and you will feel way more comfortable and confident!

I am finally embracing my own style of punk/rock/pop and other weirdness in which my family does not support! But I am learning that their opinion of me doesn't matter as long as I am happy!

I happen to LOVE make up! I wear foundation and concealer to even out my skin tone and cover pimps/dark circles. I find foundation really gives me a big confidence booster!

Try out different cosmetics like mascaras, liners, powders, eye shadows, blush. Just try it all!

Find YOU! And if you ever need help or advice don't hesitate to pm me! :) Good luck!

Ray MacDonald 03-02-2011 07:06 PM

Just remember:

You are more beautiful than you think, More talented than you think and more loved than you can ever imagined!

Whisper22 03-02-2011 07:23 PM

Just a little makeup tip, if you don't usually wear it, a little goes a long way. If people are used to seeing you without any, too much might not look right. I would stick with a very light natural eye shadow, like a cream color. I don't even wear eye shadow sometimes but I always wear mascara. Eyeliner can be a bit tricky if you're not used to it. Three things I never go without are mascara, blush, and lip gloss can make a world of difference. I always wear foundation because I like how it evens out my skin tone but moisturizer and loose pouder is a simpler way to go. You should wear moisturizer every day anyway. I think Aveeno just came out with a tinted moisturizer, which might be good if you don't want to go the foundation route, but always wear some type of powder too either loose or compact. I guess that's more than a little tip, I like my makeup, can you tell lol. Other than that the only advice I can give is be super confident in the person you already are. That is more attractive than anything.

paintsrule 03-02-2011 07:29 PM

Thanks again everyone. :)

So, I couldnt go shopping for makeup as it turns out but I did read everyones responses and looked through my moms make up bag and found some concealer, masacra, and blush that I like and think looks okay on me. Its not that noticable but still makes a difference. Im scared to ask my mom to borrow it though because this is new.

I sound like such a child but I didnt know where else to go..

mbender 03-02-2011 07:30 PM

I agree with everyone! I am 40 and short and weigh 115. Hmmm. Not fat and not thin, but I say to myself, self if you act confident you'll be confident. I have learned that the more confident you act, people see you differently too! I don't wear makeup or have the expenses for designer clothes. But I don't care either. I dress how I want and I feel comfortable.

Eventually, you will get to that point. Hugz!
Posted via Mobile Device