The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Am I feeding correctly? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/am-i-feeding-correctly-79997/)

SouthernComfort 03-03-2011 05:40 PM

Am I feeding correctly?

With getting my new horse, and he being underweight, I got to thinking if I'm feeding the right things. I've never had an underweight horse before, so I want to be sure I'm feeding him the right things to get him where he needs to be. I'd say he's 50 to 75 lbs underweight. He doesn't look that bad in the pics, but in real I think he is.

Ok,

I feed him three pounds of beet pulp with molases twice a day, soaked
5 pounds of cubed alfalfa twice a day, soaked
2 pounds of Strategy twice a day
unlimited hay
Is that to much or not enough? Is there something I need to add?

And my other horse gets the same beet pulp and alfalfa in the winter with four pounds of Omolene 100 and unlimited hay. He stays plump. But in the summer I only feed him Strategy because Omolene makes him sweat really bad. There's plenty of grass because I seed every spring.

Thanks in advance!

Gidget 03-03-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernComfort (Post 948979)
With getting my new horse, and he being underweight, I got to thinking if I'm feeding the right things. I've never had an underweight horse before, so I want to be sure I'm feeding him the right things to get him where he needs to be. I'd say he's 50 to 75 lbs underweight. He doesn't look that bad in the pics, but in real I think he is.

Ok,

I feed him three pounds of beet pulp with molases twice a day, soaked
5 pounds of cubed alfalfa twice a day, soaked
2 pounds of Strategy twice a day
unlimited hay
Is that to much or not enough? Is there something I need to add?

And my other horse gets the same beet pulp and alfalfa in the winter with four pounds of Omolene 100 and unlimited hay. He stays plump. But in the summer I only feed him Strategy because Omolene makes him sweat really bad. There's plenty of grass because I seed every spring.

Thanks in advance!

Hello. First off how underweight is your horse? Can you estimate how much he needs to gain? That can help determine what to give him.
As for beet pulp I do not like this stuff and I think everyone knows that on this forum :P It's high in fiber but it's very time consuming and I find there are other products that do a better job such as rice bran. It's very high in fat and helps them put on weight pretty quickly. I fed my horse this when she was underweight and she gained her weight back within a month and a half. The cube alfalfa sounds good. I fed my horse that amount(maybe a bit less) but I didn't soak it. Is there a reason why you are doing this?
Unlimited hay is great!
I think you are doing a good job with the feeding program but I would seriously try the rice bran instead.It's not expensive either and you don't have to soak it.

SouthernComfort 03-03-2011 06:57 PM

I think he needs about 50 to 75 lbs to gain. You can see his tail head, point of hip and hip bones pretty well. It's not extreme, but needs to be filled out. I didn't know that about beet pulp. That's what I was told to give. :) That's why I asked, learn something new everyday! Thank you! I soak the cubes only becasue it seems to be easier for them to eat and slows my big boy down, cause he will just bite one in to and swallow. I'm afraid he'll choke.

I should have asked this earlier! Went and stocked up on feed today! I guess I can take the beet pulp back and exchange for rice bran. I haven't put it into bins yet. How much rice bran would you feed? I've never fed this before. I don't think my pally needs it anymore this winter. I'm weaning him off the pulp and omolene now. The grass is starting to grow in pretty fast. Anyways, I'd estimate that the appy weighs around 1000 (hes 15hh and very compact). I estimate my pally to be around 1600 lbs (16.2hh appendix qh, he's huge, has lots of bone and towers over the appy lol). I have a tape that estimates the weight but I don't think its accurate. You're suppose to wrap it around the girth area, but some horses are long through the shoulder and under the girth even if their underweight. IDK, I'm just rambeling.

Gidget 03-03-2011 07:05 PM

I would start off with a 1 lb to get him use to the rice bran as some horses have sensitive stomachs..it is pretty gentle though :) I wouldn't go over 4 lbs...if he only needs to gain that much just give him 2 lbs a day and see how that goes. My horse needed 150 lbs back the vet said so I was sticking so much hay in her stall,rice bran,cubes..she gained quick but I think she was overwhelmed at the amount :P
Oh and you don't want to give rice bran to them as a daily thing ..once he gains the weight you want to cut back since it's very fattening...basically cool calories. It won't make them hyper.

ahhh! I saw a horse choke and seriously look like he was throwing up..it scared me.I love that horse!

Gidget 03-03-2011 07:07 PM

oh and alfamo is good too..very sticky.It has molasses in it and I call it horse candy. I ...actually tried some to see how sweet it is and it's pretty good!

SouthernComfort 03-03-2011 07:08 PM

Thank you! I was worried about the hyper thing with the molasses in the pulp along with the feed.

Gidget 03-03-2011 07:10 PM

No problem :)
My horse is on alfamo and alfalfa grass mix and it cracks her out. Seriously you want to turn her out before you ride or you might go flying....it keeps weight on though and the bales are massive.

loosie 03-03-2011 08:17 PM

Hi,

Being a hoof care practitioner & recognising the general probs caused by many traditional feeds & ingredients, I would definitely advise against molasses. As gidget said, it is 'horse candy' - junk food and is as bad as lollies & soft drinks for kids. So while things like this generally aren't a prob for most horses as an occasional small treat, don't feed them junk food every day as a part of their diet.

Considering you're feeding Strategy, which is a high fat feed, and which includes rice bran & beet pulp already(& 'flavour enhancer'... frustrating that Purina doesn't list ingredients), I wouldn't bother with extra rice bran & beet pulp, etc. Just 'KISS'