The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Leading a pushy yearling HELP! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/leading-pushy-yearling-help-80014/)

AQHA 03-03-2011 09:39 PM

Leading a pushy yearling HELP!

What do you do when a yearling gelding is pushy when you lead him?

Like ignoring the halter and running through you?

Help Please!!!

mbender 03-03-2011 09:43 PM

What kind of halter do you use?
Posted via Mobile Device

AQHA 03-03-2011 09:50 PM

nylon cause my rope one is WAY too big

crimsonsky 03-03-2011 10:15 PM

if your rope halter can be adjusted in the nose area there is a way to tie the head piece (the part over the poll) so shorten it so that you're not tying the knot all the way on top of his/her head. i do that with my 9mth old colt as his yearling halter is just a bit too big for him still. basically - instead of slipping the long piece through the loop in the halter (where you'd normally place it on a larger horse), slip it through the part of the halter below the loop and tie from there. i wish i had a pic of it but i don't think i do. sorry if that made no sense. lol

AQHA 03-03-2011 11:07 PM

good idea i'll try it - any other ideas though

twogeldings 03-03-2011 11:16 PM

Try walking with a crop and tapping/bumping him in the shoulder and flank area when walking. Just walk, walk, walk, straight, zigzags, circles, etc. When he misbehaves, bump him with the crop. If he doesn't listen, bump harder, turn him, make him pay attention to you.

I used this method on my gelding who would fidget like mad when standing tied. I would just tap him on the flank when he started getting impatient.

AQHA 03-04-2011 12:46 PM

Bump!!!!

usandpets 03-04-2011 01:14 PM

When ever he goes to fast or faster than you, change direction/go back the direction you came from or make him back up. Don't just have him back up a step or two, make him back up 20 feet and he needs to move quickly. He'll learn quickly to go your pace or he has to back up. When I lead a horse, I loop the end of the rope in the opposite hand. To get them to back off, I'll smack them in the chest with the loop while pulling down on the halter end. Then I'll ask them to back up. If he doesn't back up well, keep asking him to back up no matter what he does until he takes a few strides back, stop and then ask again. I swing the lead rope from lightly to vigorously until they back up. Usually when the clip 'gets' them, they start backing away from it if they haven't already. When they start backing, I stop swinging the rope but keep moving towards them. When they stop backing, I start swinging the rope again.

Just to clarify, when I smack a horse or have the clip get the horse, it's not doing it hard enough to cause pain but enough to cause discomfort.

SkippersPointPerformance 03-04-2011 01:30 PM

This is something that I really like to nip in the butt ASAP! I have been completely plowed over by client's misbehaving horses and it's dangerous. I personally always use rope halters that are fitted and have knots over the nose for pressure a longer lead rope as well.

I will lead like normal, but the second that horse decides to step up into my space and disrespect me I will start off by turning around and for lack of a better word at the moment, yank on the lead and make them back up quickly. If they continue to do it I will do that same but add in a swift mule type kick. Think about it, horses in the wild as well as domesticated horses communicate by kicking, biting, etc. When another horse gets irritated at another for being in its space the tend to kick. But I always always make them back up at least 10ft to over exaggerate the fact that I don't want them on my heels or running into or over me. They tend to get the end of the lead rope across the shoulders as well if need be.

Here is where I either make some people upset or not... I really am not meaning to, but horses are large animals with thicker skin than us and hair on top of that. When I have a testing horse on the ground they do get smacked pretty good, (NEVER IN THE FACE). I don't use the clip end of the leads though, that can cause bad bruising if you get them on the point of the shoulder. But I will make sure there is a sting to the smack so that they understand that I am not playing games and it is NOT ok to keep running through the halter.

Hope you get some good ideas from all these great posts so far!
Good Luck :)

SMCLeenie 03-04-2011 02:23 PM

I was taught to swing the end of the lead rope in circles in front of the horse, they won't want to get too close so they won't push through.