The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   BHS/STUDY (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/bhs-study-8002/)

crystal drops 04-17-2008 12:37 PM

BHS/STUDY

Hello,
I'm currently in school, but i am looking to take horse riding as a career. I am going to start study my stage one now, just wondering if anyone knows how to juggle college and studying, whilst working at a stable yard?

dtwh 04-17-2008 02:43 PM

It's tough.

When I was in school full time it was really hard to keep up with work and study/homework time. We have up to 30+/- horses at a time here...so being one of only 3 barn hands can be a task. I'd wake up at 5 head to the barn to clean stalls/feed...when I'd get back from school I'd have to go straight back to the barn to ride or work with a horse...plus feed and try to squeeze in some riding time with my own personal horses. Plus when it was show season, I was in charge of line up...which was I'd pull a horse out, tack it up and get it ready to go when the trainer would bring back in another horse that I would have to take...hose it off/groom and put up...then repeat. It got to the point were my grades were suffering. The only good thing about it was that my work is here at home. I ended up cutting back on some of my classes.

I average about two classes a term and am now comfortable with balancing school and work.

crystal drops 04-17-2008 03:27 PM

BHS/ STUDYING..CONFUSED!

Thanks for the reply dtwh,

wow you must be working hard! :D
I'm really confused about what i should do because i really want a career in horses but i also want to keep studying business. I've looked all over and cannot find a college course to fit into my working time table at the stable yard. :cry:

dtwh 04-17-2008 06:36 PM

Yeah, it wears me out at times, but I love it!

I'm kinda confused as to what you're wanting to work in...? Horse related business?

I'm a bit of a dunce so excuse me. lol

crystal drops 04-18-2008 10:54 AM

Lol, yes i'm looking to work with horses after my training but keep up my studying whilst training. :?:

dtwh 04-18-2008 11:58 AM

Do you know what kind of horse related business you're wanting to do?

I'm studying to be a vet tech, it's a great program. I know I'll never be driving a porche or anything (not that I would want one, God only know what it would look like after a day at the barn lol) but it's a comfortable job and that's what I'm looking for.

dtwh 04-18-2008 12:02 PM

Re: BHS/ STUDYING..CONFUSED!

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystal drops
I've looked all over and cannot find a college course to fit into my working time table at the stable yard. :cry:

Maybe you could try looking for a new stable to work in that would fit into the time schedule offered? Or maybe work part time at the one you're at now? Would your stable let you leave and come back when you had a class?