The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   What Does It Actually Mean (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/what-does-actually-mean-80032/)

Ohhkierst 03-04-2011 12:24 AM

What Does It Actually Mean

I am looking to buy a horse but a little confused on what the levels mean, I am looking to ride western pleasure ....

is an open level horse better than a novice or novice amateur.

Is select amateur better than the open or novice?

What is the highest ?
Or lowest?

Or how do they differ.

THANKS!!

thatoneponygirl 03-05-2011 08:45 PM

Well for starters everyone has their own opinion on this. A horse that would be good for a novice am is going to be more easy to control than a horse shown in open. Although the horse shown in open may be more talented it will most likely be more difficult to ride. (Trainers ride in open classes.) If you are new to horses a horse said to be good for a novice is probably the best choice! be sure to know whether the horse is novice or it would work well for a novice rider. Hope this helps

justjump 03-05-2011 08:48 PM

Amateur horses seem to be fancier, ive heard the am competition is always more steep. Novice amateur is a beginner class, go for the open horse! If it says "perfect novice or amateur horse" that usually means its a total packer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ohhkierst 03-06-2011 12:13 AM

Thank you so much you guys!!! Very very helpful!!
The One horse is an amateur / novice horse but has tons of open point because they had a trainer ride her. But the horse has been again by a youth rider and the owners as well after the trainer rode that full year. They just said they want to do the select amateur and she isn't good enough for that.

Then the other horse is a good open horse and has had only a trainer ride her.

I am a good rider but a beginner on showing with all the buttons horses have and things like that.

So I wa just confused on what class means what ! Thank you so much for clarifying !!!
Posted via Mobile Device

justjump 03-06-2011 12:14 AM

Go with the trainer horse, though both sound nice!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ohhkierst 03-06-2011 12:22 AM

Agreed. The only downfall is she has been used as a lesson horse for the past 6 months. And lessons that have been from terrible riders, first time riders, kids, things like that. And she would need a big refresher. Any advice on of you know horses that have been ruined with lessons? She has lost her sensitivity to leg pressure with moving off of your legs. I have heard once horses become lesson horses they tend to loose it.
Posted via Mobile Device

justjump 03-06-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohhkierst (Post 951882)
Agreed. The only downfall is she has been used as a lesson horse for the past 6 months. And lessons that have been from terrible riders, first time riders, kids, things like that. And she would need a big refresher. Any advice on of you know horses that have been ruined with lessons? She has lost her sensitivity to leg pressure with moving off of your legs. I have heard once horses become lesson horses they tend to loose it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not necessarily. We have lesson horses that were former world champions that could still go and do damage in the AQHA shows. And these horses get ridden by 3 year olds and horrible older riders. I would recommend sending him to a trainer for a month for a tune up, if you get it. How's the other one? You should go try them out too! You never know(:
Posted via Mobile Device