The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Dry spots under bars of saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/dry-spots-under-bars-saddle-80103/)

traildancer 03-04-2011 05:14 PM

Dry spots under bars of saddle

Hi, everyone. I am going to try and paste a comment I posted on another thread, mainly because it is long and I don't want to type it all over! Not sure if this is allowed. If not, I'm sorry, I won't do it again.

Hi, everyone. I'm sure this has been addressed elsewhere, so please bear with me.

I have an Amish-made Brenda Imus saddle, one of the originals. I know it's original because I bought it from my sister-in-law who has the original receipt. You will see where I'm going with this later on.

Anyway, the saddle is about 6 years old; I have had it for two. I ride hard--800 to 1000 miles a year in mostly rough terrain.

When I got the saddle there weren't dry spots under the bars on either side. I ride thee different horses with this saddle, a 17-year-old, a 7-year-old and a 5-year old. None of them ever had dry spots.

Now, suddenly, I am getting dry spots in the shape of the bars on both sides of all horses. Any ideas why this might be? I have tried a single wool blanket, a Grandeur pad with thin neoprene shims, a thick wool navajo, the thin wool with a 1 inch cashel, and a Reinsman wool pad with wool interior.

I posted on the Gaits of Gold message board and Jake was less than kind. Stated that he had sent me an email to which he was still awaiting my reply (I've never received an email from him); informed me that he had no way of knowing where the dry spots were (it was in the very first line of my post) and that if it was a 6-year-old , second-hand saddle maybe I should consider selling it and getting a new one and locked the thread!!!

What the heck???? I thought they had a good product. I wasn't asking for a replacement--just some advice. Was he rude or what? What's more, when I first joined their board, I had asked a similar question and many people responded and he didn't once nor was that thread locked. Other folks ask about saddle fit all the time. Why was my question different--so different that I ticked him off?

I'm not sure what I'm looking for here. Some sympathy, I guess! But mostly suggestions on what to do about the dry spots. I don't want white spots in that large an area nor do I want to cause pain to my horses.

So--does anyone have comments or advice? Thanks.
-----
The trail is the thing....Louis L'Amour,