The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   How can I make my leg stay PUT! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/how-can-i-make-my-leg-80195/)

Hidalgo13 03-05-2011 06:47 PM

How can I make my leg stay PUT!

Ok so I had another lesson today! :) (yay) and I did rather well, especially at the canter, but at the trot my legs are moving sooo much! :oops:

I will post a video once it finishes loading, but any advice on how to keep it motionless? :-| I read somewhere you're leg will move a lot if you post by lifting yourself with your stirrups instead of... ??????
So ya I have to put less weight at the ball of my feet to lift me and more, ... like I have to lift myself by tightening my knees??
Ya... so basically what I am asking... is how am I suppose to post? :oops:

Thanks!

Chiilaa 03-05-2011 07:20 PM

Instead of thinking of the post as you lifting yourself, think of it as your horse bouncing you out of the saddle. Use the motion of the horse to "flick" you up and out.

In terms of where you are meant to grip and push with, it is very subtle and mostly with your thighs.

CJ82Sky 03-05-2011 07:27 PM

yes def do NOT grip with your knees and you want weight to sink into your heel. do TONS of trot work in 2 point, with and without stirrups and your leg will be a lot better in no time :)

rosie1 03-05-2011 07:28 PM

Definitely don't grip with your knees this will only make your leg more insecure. Riding stirrupless will help strengthen your leg
Posted via Mobile Device

rosie1 03-05-2011 07:29 PM

Ah beaten by cj82sky lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Hidalgo13 03-05-2011 07:34 PM

hehe... the video where my leg is worst. :/

Thanks a lot. I will mention to my trainer if I can have a lesson where we do stirrup-less posting and more 2 point.

Also where should I put pressure exactly and how much? I know very little pressure, but am I suppose to be gripping more with my calves to keep my leg in place?

justjump 03-05-2011 07:56 PM

At first, it looked like you were just kicking him to make him go forward. But as I watched, it kinda looked beginner rider ish (how the beginners normally don't have good heels and post using their feet). My solution is simply NO STIRRUPS. take them off your saddle! It'll make you apply your entire leg rather than just your knees, thighs, or just your calves. It will also make riding 100% easier and it will totally solve your problem(:
Posted via Mobile Device

Hidalgo13 03-05-2011 08:01 PM

I know, it really is awful. :( Though I am glad to say my whole lesson wasn't like that. It was more discrete further into the lesson.

Quote:

At first, it looked like you were just kicking him to make him go forward.
Whenever I was about to go on and was on the trot poles though, I was kicking. Everything after that was just shameful riding. :(

justjump 03-05-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hidalgo13 (Post 951602)
I know, it really is awful. :( Though I am glad to say my whole lesson wasn't like that. It was more discrete further into the lesson.

Whenever I was about to go on and was on the trot poles though, I was kicking. Everything after that was just shameful riding. :(

It's not shameful! Everyone starts somewhere. I know riders to this day who look like hell on a horse and have been riding for years! You actually want to do better and ask for help! Kudos to you(:
Posted via Mobile Device

Hidalgo13 03-05-2011 08:10 PM

Thank you. :) I want to show before I finish high school, so I am eager to correct every little thing before it becomes too much of a habit. My stable doesn't make you show until you are pretty much perfect. First you go through my current trainer who makes you learn all the basics (and more) perfectly, then if you want to show you go to the other trainer who prepares you for showing.