The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Advice for Difficult Decision (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/advice-difficult-decision-80230/)

FoxRidgeRanch 03-06-2011 02:23 AM

Advice for Difficult Decision
 
Here is the deal. I am getting a pretty decent amout of money back in taxes this year and am going to put at least two months of horse training in with it. Here are my options and if you think of anything different please tell me, I'm super tired right this moment and open to ideas.

Option A:

I send Oggi (2003 APHA breeding stock mare) back for 2 months of western pleasure training, the trainer is fantastic and get her that much closer to be show ready. She's already got 2 months under her cinch but I am going to keep putting training on her no matter what.

Option B:

I send Rain (2006 Arabian x Pinto mare) for her first time to the trainer. Very easy going. I really should get her broke to ride just to get it over and done with. I can sit on her but we don't move much just turns and flexing. I'd be sending her for 2 months solid.

Option C:

I send both for a month each and maybe just save up enough for another months training for each while they are in training. It wouldn't be guarenteed that I could afford 2 months for both but both could use it desperately.

Also I really want to send Nova (2010 AQHA Dun Filly) in for some touch up work for the halter show season (to work on her showmanship). I could easily show her this season and get her show career started off right.

What do you think?

AlexS 03-06-2011 02:40 AM

What are your goals? Do you want two horses well on their way to being finished or would you prefer one over the other?

If I were you I would not half butt their training, if the trainer wants two months, I would not split this one month each.

FoxRidgeRanch 03-06-2011 02:53 AM

The trainer doesn't mind either way I'm hoping to show Oggi eventually but not this year I've been wanting to get Rain started for some time. I really want Rain to get some time in this summer under saddle. I can also do just a week for a refresher for Oggi which will get her ready for work at home since I haven't ridden her a lot this winter. The trainer is very flexible.

christopher 03-06-2011 03:32 AM

diy imo

FoxRidgeRanch 03-07-2011 01:55 PM

Anyone else?

petitepyromaniac 03-07-2011 02:01 PM

I'd send Rain. She's five and still not broke.

OneHotFuzz 03-07-2011 02:51 PM

If you have time train them yourself IMO. I find sending a horse to a trainer just a waste of money if you yourself are not a constant part of the training, always watching what the trainer does and asking questions. But that's just my opinion.

kitten_Val 03-07-2011 04:11 PM

If you are confident you can break Rain yourself I'd say Oggi to put "show" training on. If you are not I'd say save Oggi and send Rain.

FoxRidgeRanch 03-07-2011 06:12 PM

I'm not super confident when training a horse to trot and lope and that when the trainer comes in usually plus she also gives me riding lesson and pointers for showing.

mom2pride 03-07-2011 09:12 PM

I say send Oggi to the trainer and Rain to me...Lol!!!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0