The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   How to tell dark bay from dark brown (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/how-tell-dark-bay-dark-brown-80233/)

Arksly 03-06-2011 03:41 AM

How to tell dark bay from dark brown

So, for the past two months I thought Kitty was a dark bay. It was difficult to see that she was even bay at all considering how dark she was, but after a little while, she started to bleach out in the barrel. Her mane and tail seem black, however, after recently receiving a copy of her papers, it turns out she's registered as brown. Is there any way to tell? I looked at her mane and tail and I still think it looks black. I've seen horses registered as "bay" that have had browner tails. Is there a possibility that she's just darkened over time?

Sarahandlola 03-06-2011 04:00 AM

She will have black pointsif she is bay. Legs and muzzle.

VelvetsAB 03-06-2011 04:23 AM

Her ear tips, legs and muzzle would be black if she was bay.....along with the mane and tail.

NdAppy 03-06-2011 10:18 AM

Browns can and will have black manes, tails and points.

Mostly browns will have lightening of color in these areas - muzzles, flanks, inner forearms and thighs.

sixlets 03-06-2011 11:00 AM

It can also depend on the registry what they say your horse's color is. For example, with RPSI they call everything from cherry bay to seal brown just plain "Braun." If you ever plan on breeding Kitty, and want to breed for a specific color, I would go and get her tested for what color she is, which is the only way you can truly tell a bay from a brown.

Arksly 03-06-2011 06:21 PM

She's registered under AQHA. It looks like her legs have black points as well as her ears, however, her muzzle is quite light.

NdAppy 03-06-2011 09:13 PM

From the one pick you have in your horses thing, it looks like she is a brown. Could we see some more pictures of her?

Pro 03-06-2011 10:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So would Sam and Spring be brown? Because I've always called them bays, but around their muzzles turns brown in the winter...

NdAppy 03-06-2011 10:24 PM

Yep, I would call them browns. :-)

AlexS 03-06-2011 10:28 PM

Maybe it is a regional thing, as I am English, but I have never heard of a brown horse, they are bay, ranging from light to dark bay.
I would describe your horse as a dark bay.