The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   how am i looking? :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/how-am-i-looking-80257/)

KawaiiCharlie 03-06-2011 03:00 PM

how am i looking? :)

pictures from this weekend, riding two different horses.
obviously the little fell pony is corkie. & the big hairy cob with the blaze is Flash.
flash is one of the most uncomfortable horse ever, he moves like a camel.
i have tried to get my hands out of my lap, did it work? & hows my leg?

Ray MacDonald 03-06-2011 03:05 PM

Over all your position is good but your hands are still a little low.

Amlalriiee 03-06-2011 09:46 PM

Your hands are MUCH better in the second to last picture, and the one right before it. You are starting to bend in the elbow...now you need to get that consistent so that it's seen in every image! I do see that you are not pushing your elbows completely straight like last time at all, so that is good, too. Old habits die hard, so it's not surprising that in many pictures your hands are still low...it IS good that you got them up for at least some of your ride. :)

Your leg is really looking very good. There are a few pictures where your lower leg seems to have come forward, but in most pictures it looks great. In the close-up picture of your leg it looks VERY VERY good. I'd say that's the best picture of leg position. Ironically, in the two pictures where you've succeeded in really picking those hands up and bending your elbows, your legs seem to have slipped forward a bit. (Don't worry...it's not one thing causin another...though maybe your concentration went to your hands and you forgot your legs?)

KawaiiCharlie 03-07-2011 02:17 PM

thank you :D
& yeah, it was probably because i was concentrating on my hands and forgot about my legs. but glad to see im getting there slowly lol i have a new horse to ride, as soon as her leg heals (its a little swollen where her mud fever boot slipped down) shes a saddlebred appaloosa about 15hh, she has extra gaits apparently so it will be a little new to me, so will be interesting to see if i ride any different on her. she seems to be a bit of a handful so im interested to see what shes like to ride lol i'll be posting some pictures of her soon :)

tinyliny 03-07-2011 02:25 PM

Kawaii, like amlalriiee said, second and third to last photo is what you want. Put a bend in that elbow!
Cheers!

Gizmo 03-07-2011 06:16 PM

I think everyone got everything, but you are looking great. There was just a couple of little things. Corkie looks good! In the first picture he almost looked like a Friesian, and then I was like wait no that's Corkie! lol

Amlalriiee 03-07-2011 06:27 PM

^^Corkie DOES look like a Friesian in that picture!!! I thought it was one at first, and then noticed how monstrous the rider would have to be and figured out that it was him :-P

MudPaint 03-07-2011 08:10 PM

It may be the baggie clothing (isn't winter just wonderful), but I feel like your upper body collapses forward. In a lot of the pics I feel like you need to open up your chest, roll your shoulders back, which will actually raise your hands. Also... eyes up, with riding, you go where you look, I'm sure you don't want to be on the ground. =)

I LOVE your leg when it's just hanging free. If I were your trainer I'd drop your stirrups a hole maybe two to open up your leg more and help you sit back instead of being perched a bit.

agreed that the second to last pic is one of the best, but I'm also a fan of the first.

KawaiiCharlie 03-08-2011 03:29 PM

hahaha. i swear he does think hes some huge friesian stallion. dont think he realises hes only a little guy lol & MudPaint, my stirrups are short because corkie is in a jumping saddle, so when i have them longer my legs go forward & i end up with a chair seat >.<