The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   would you pick a horse based on color (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/would-you-pick-horse-based-color-80263/)

skittlesfirehawk 03-06-2011 03:49 PM

would you pick a horse based on color

im getting ready to buy a horse and i think i want a horse with a pretty overo color.Would you look for a horse based on color?

drafteventer 03-06-2011 04:11 PM

Nope.
Can't ride color.
:)

Iseul 03-06-2011 04:11 PM

I wouldn't. Colour is a plus, kind of like nutella on bread. <3
I would look mainly for the training level that you need to have the horse at, including it's temperament, conformation for what you plan on doing, etc. And if you find one that is all good with that, and has the colour you want, go for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

sixlets 03-06-2011 04:38 PM

That depends, are you buying it as a breeding stallion or mare? Then color can matter, otherwise it's like drafteventer said, you can't ride color. I would look at the horse purely based on training and conformation, and if the horse fits the criteria and is in your budget, then buy it. But don't make the mistake of overlooking more plainly colored horses. Good luck finding the perfect partner!

equiniphile 03-06-2011 04:47 PM

If you plan on doing any breed shows, I believe some Paint shows and registries only register horses with a certain amount of color, so if that matters to you....

Otherwise, no, I wouldn't. Color is nice, flashy in the show ring (but honestly, every color can be shined up to look nice IMO) and helpful if you need to re-sell, but it's otherwise unimportant in the scheme of things. It should be your LAST qualifier. The other thing is, you want a partner who you enjoy. Some people can't get past a horse's looks to see his demeanor and ability, and if you're one of these people, you should look for a horse that is aesthetically pleasing to you, as well as having a good demeanor and working conformation.

AlexS 03-06-2011 05:05 PM

Color would never be a consideration for me, never ever.

RockandRide 03-06-2011 05:07 PM

Depending on what you are doing with the horse, colour can matter. Otherwise it is just a bonus. You would need to look for level, calmness, conformation, what you plan on doing, and all the important stuff. If you are stuck between two horses and ABSOLUTLEY can't decide between two (after looking through everything else) then colour could help you pick :)

Chiilaa 03-06-2011 07:40 PM

There is nothing wrong with wanting a particular colour. The down side is finding your ideal horse in that colour. If you are willing to wait for it, and not settle for a crazy horse that is a good colour, then sure, go for it.

Lonestar22 03-06-2011 07:46 PM

If I had 2 horses that I liked everything about on both of them and no matter which one I chose I would end up with a great horse, then I would consider color.

Otherwise, it's allways training over color.

Tennessee 03-06-2011 07:50 PM

Naahhh. I mean, if I see a well trained horse with a color I like and I had the money, I wouldn't pass it up, but I tend to fancy colors like bay and sorrel anyways, so I usually don't have a problem with buying for my favorite color. haha.