The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   sheath cleaning help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sheath-cleaning-help-8029/)

SonnyWimps 04-18-2008 11:06 AM

sheath cleaning help

well yesterday I cleaned part of Sonny's sheath, but didn't get that much due to I was just using water...anyways.
When he dropped I went and tried to find the bean, but couldn't find one...my question(s) are
1) what is the likelyhood of having no bean? (especially when his sheath was really dirty inside...don't know when he had it cleaned last)
2) How close to the opening is the bean located?
3) What are ways to get Sonny to drop? (I've tried brushing down there, and everything I can think of...he really only drops when he's close to the mare he likes...but I don't always want to clean his sheath down there.)

Sara 04-18-2008 12:50 PM

The bean is pretty close to the opening, a little less than an inch in usually. This article has a good photo: http://www.equusite.com/articles/hea...Cleaning.shtml

Actually, it also describes getting your horse to drop his penis as well, though some just won't unless they are tranqed.

I would try the lube approach over water...I've only done one gelding that didn't care either way. Most of them are more relaxed with the K-Y.

SonnyWimps 04-18-2008 01:43 PM

I'm going to be using Excalibur for that is what my barn owner recommended, but yesterday I couldn't cause I didn't have it with me (forgot it at home even though I swore I had it with me)

The website did help a little bit...but I wonder then why I couldn't find the bean...cause I know I looked in the right spot but still couldn't see/feel it

Sara 04-18-2008 02:14 PM

*shrug* possibly he didn't have one then. Its not hard to find so I doubt you would miss it. If its so small that you can't find it, its not a health issue at this point either:)

SonnyWimps 04-18-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara
*shrug* possibly he didn't have one then. Its not hard to find so I doubt you would miss it. If its so small that you can't find it, its not a health issue at this point either:)

I mean there always is a possiblity that I'm looking in the wrong place or whatever since this is my first time cleaning his sheath since I bought him, and he's my first horse.
I read practicually all the sheath cleaning websites so I know what I'm doing..or at least most of it.
The bean is the only thing I can't really find.

Also I've tried gently pulling his penis down, but he fights back and won't let me...I don't want to force it down and hurt him.

Sara 04-18-2008 03:44 PM

I think if you are following online instructions, you'll do fine...most of the one's I've seen are pretty good. If you want my mom's exact instructions when she taught ME it was "Worm your finger in and if you feel a hard bump, try and get your finger behind it and roll it out. Be gentle or he'll kick you in the head." Some things you just have to learn through trial and error:P

If he doesn't want to extend, don't worry about it, just do the best you can with what you've got. Even a partial cleaning is more than horses in the wild get. If you're really worried about it, just ask your vet to do it once in awhile.