The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   did you know game :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/did-you-know-game-80297/)

Frankiee 03-06-2011 08:52 PM

did you know game :)

hey so i dont know if this is already been posted but i thought it can be interesting :)

So post something you think nobody know's about horses of course and say if you knew or didnt know what the person beofre you posted :) hope that makes sense lol

- so did you know that the reason why horse's grow there winter coat is not the cold weather but the lack of dailght :) so if you want your horse to loose there winter coat faster leave your lights on in the barn for an extra hour :)

lilruffian 03-06-2011 08:57 PM

^^ Yes, i've heard that somewhere before :)
OK, so this is a horse related one (for horse racing fans).
Did you know that the Triple Crown wasn't solidified as an event until the 1930's & that the original TC was supposed to consist of the Withers Stakes, Belmont Stakes & Travers Stakes?

ShinaKonga 03-06-2011 09:23 PM

I didn't know that.

did you know horses have no nerve endings by their manes, and therefore feel no pain when you pull on it? They feel it, sure, but it doesn't hurt.

Poseidon 03-06-2011 11:35 PM

I knew that.

Did you know the reason the Quarter horse got its name is because it can sprint a quarter mile the fastest of any other horse breed?

ShinaKonga 03-07-2011 12:23 AM

Knew that.

Did you know some Icelandic horses have been seen to eat fish for survival?

lilruffian 03-07-2011 12:28 PM

^^ DId not know that!
Did you know that foals are born with their legs already nearly as long as they will ever be. Their eyes & ears are also full sized which is why they look so gangly & cannont reach grass without bending for the first few months :)

Frankiee 03-07-2011 05:12 PM

haha i didnt know that

did you know the frog of a horse was called that because it looked like a fork and in the older days the fork was called a frog

Poseidon 03-07-2011 05:20 PM

Nope!

Did you know foals have small, soft finger-like "slippers" on the bottom of their hooves when before they are born and during birth so that the mare doesn't get her insides all cut up by the foal's hooves? (That was a weird sentence to write. Google image "foal hoof slipper" it'll make sense. ha)

ShinaKonga 03-07-2011 07:30 PM

Knew that, because it grosses me out. ;)

Did you know some wild horses will dig into dirt for minerals that they need in their diet?

Sophie19 03-07-2011 07:39 PM

Yes I knew that

Did you know that Arabian horses have fewer bones than other horses?