The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Selena's Turnaround has....Regressed? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/selenas-turnaround-has-regressed-80386/)

SorrelHorse 03-07-2011 05:05 PM

Selena's Turnaround has....Regressed?

So, Selena is five years old and still quite green. I've been working with her on turning around faster but when she picks up speed her pivot foot travels. I've tried sidepassing into the spin, walking into it, trotting into it, and she never fixes it. I've even tried just asking her slower, but now even on the slower turnaround she's flinging her haunches around in the spin even though she's spinning like a blur now.

Soo....Suggestions? ^^

SorrelHorse 03-14-2011 03:58 PM

*bumpbump* Anyone? xD

SorrelHorse 04-12-2011 11:37 AM

Bumping. Even if it's something I've already tried, explain it to me again! Maybe I did something differant than you would have....:)

Reininginga 06-05-2011 09:29 AM

One thing my trainer has said to me is not to worry about the pivot foot or rear end. If the front end it moving correctly then the rear will plant. You really need someone on the ground to watch cuz I find it hard to feel if they are swapping ends. Try this: From a small forward going trot circle with both legs on, use direct rein with inside hand toward spin direction, block with outside hand, release inside leg and bump with outside leg (even on elbow if nec). After a few steps or half turn done correctly, center hands, and drive at trot and quickly out of spin in straight line. then redirect into small circle at trot in the same direction. This exercise teaches the horse that the spin is a forward movement and gets the front end moving around the rear. He will plant when this happens. Do it 5 times everyday in both directions, but one direction at a time. For a green horse a snaffle works best to start so they follow your hand. Increase the steps until you are doing 3 or 4 turn arounds before driving out.

This exercise has worked for me very well, let me know how it goes.

IPHDA 06-05-2011 10:55 AM

Sorrel Horse, here is a video I made that shows how I start teaching a horse to turn around, There are a number of foundations skills needed before you can be successful with this drill, you can see those video's as well if you like by requesting a free subscription to my coaching blog. You can find the free subscription request by visiting my public blog.
Rod Miller IPHDA & NRHA Professional

Good luck and remember a quick cadenced turn around is all about getting the shoulders to move fluidly laterally, and the horse has to have the proper muscle development to be able to do that properly. All of the foundation skills needed are used to not only develop control of the shoulders but also develop the muscles needed to make it easy and comfortable for the horse to move his shoulders laterally that fluidly.

Rod Miller

Reininginga 06-06-2011 08:45 AM

Thanks IPHDA...that is a perfect video showing the exercise I was trying to explain.

Army wife 05-01-2012 05:29 AM

Personally, it took me forever to teach my mare her turn arounds! But once she got it, she got it for good!!! It's all about your foundation. Don't be worried that she is regressing. That is normal, I see it as her learning. Process of elimination for what you don't want. I think you first need to make sure her front end is correct and she is crossing over right. Instead of sucking back and losing her frame. I trot lots and lots of tiny circles. Some small that my mare really has to get the front end foot work down (most important part of the turn around.) When she is soft in the face, neck, shoulders and legs, I let her trot into a spin. The moment she flings her hip out (not talking a little, talking about moving completely sideways) I would push her back out into that small circle from hell. Softness again, let her come into the turn, get a few good cross overs and stop. See, for my mare, correct turn arounds are a reward. The small circle is WORK!!! Be very patient, this is a tough one for some horses to get, but you have to teach them right and reward them!! Could it be that you pushed her too fast too soon and lost all of her confidence? If so, then start back over with slow but correct turns. Hope she is doing much better now!!