The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Sorrel colour? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/sorrel-colour-80431/)

apachewhitesox 03-08-2011 05:50 AM

Sorrel colour?

I'm not sure if there is already a thread on this. Exactly how much white hair has to be spread through a chestnut coat for them to be sorrel? I know it doesn't count if its just the odd hair. My horse is a chestnut and he is registered chestnut. But he has evenly spread white hairs throughout his coat on his belly then they fade out over his rump and up his neck. I've only seen one sorrel coloured horse but I didn't pay much attention to his coat because I was so excited to be near a reining champion. Anyway so how much of the coat has to be white? Thanks

drafteventer 03-08-2011 07:17 AM

Sorrel and a chestnut are the same color, just different names (I've heard sorrel mostly from people who ride western). What you are talking about is a red roan, which is chestnut with white hair spread throughout the coat. By the looks of it, your horse is definitely a chestnut/sorrel. My horse is an example of a red roan.

apachewhitesox 03-08-2011 07:21 AM

oh I feel silly now I have been told that sorrel and the basic chestnut are two different things

drafteventer 03-08-2011 07:42 AM

Naw don't feel silly!
But yep, from what I've always been told, sorrel and chestnut are the exact same thing.

Chiilaa 03-08-2011 08:00 AM

They are indeed one and the same. Here in Australia, it is very very rare to hear the term "sorrel". It seems to be more heavily used in other places where western is more dominant.

usandpets 03-08-2011 08:14 AM

Does your horse have palamino in his bloodlines? If the white hairs are kind of random but consistent, the palamino may be showing through. Our mare has it in hers and has kind of stray white hairs throughout her coat. She's registered as a sorrel.

apachewhitesox 03-08-2011 08:19 AM

from what I know there are only bays and chestnuts unless its really far back but I'll have a look now I'm interested

apachewhitesox 03-08-2011 08:38 AM

Just had a look from the ones that did have written what colour they were. Everything was bay or chestnut bar two that were grey-chestnut apparently. I went back about 4 generations on both sides.

apachewhitesox 03-08-2011 08:47 AM

^^^^ Would that perhaps mean some sort of roaning or a horse that didn't completely grey out?

Chiilaa 03-08-2011 08:50 AM

Usandpets - Palomino can't "show through" a chestnut coat. It is something completely different to white hairs in a coat.

Apache, your boy sounds like a chestnut with a touch of white hair in his coat lol. It is perfectly normal for some horses to have a small amount, without it actually changing what colour they are. If you are talking about the horse "Apache" in your horse photos, he is definitely chestnut :) And pretty gorgeous :)