The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   How Tight Should Half Chaps Be + Breeches (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/how-tight-should-half-chaps-breeches-80443/)

jinxremoving 03-08-2011 02:26 PM

How Tight Should Half Chaps Be + Breeches

I've been riding in jeans for a while and I finally picked up some half chaps but they seem extremely tight and I have a hard time zipping them up over the top part of the paddock boot. Once I have them on, they don't seem as tight around my calves but they are very tight towards the bottom where the zipper sits. These are leather half chaps if it makes a difference... will they give over time or should I go for a medium? I have short / skinny legs, so going up to a medium will probably make the half chaps too long and baggy around the calves.

I'm also wondering about mens breeches, are they supposed to sit below or above the naval? As mentioned, I have short legs so I can either pull the breeches up slightly above the naval or have them sit below. They feel more comfortable below, but I'm not sure what the correct way is ... if there is even a correct way? Sorry for the stupid questions, haha. :s

Delfina 03-08-2011 02:47 PM

They will stretch a bit over time if they are real leather. You don't want baggy half chaps and too long are going to rub the underside of your knee raw.

I have no idea on the fitting of men's breeches. I'm smack dab in the middle of a huge Western area so not only are there very, very few English riders, they are all girls.

jinxremoving 03-08-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfina (Post 954982)
They will stretch a bit over time if they are real leather. You don't want baggy half chaps and too long are going to rub the underside of your knee raw.

I have no idea on the fitting of men's breeches. I'm smack dab in the middle of a huge Western area so not only are there very, very few English riders, they are all girls.

Thanks. A friend just stopped by and said the half chaps are definitely too tight. I guess the next size up is the same height, so it looks like I shouldn't have a problem with rubbing behind the knee. The medium will be an extra inch wide, it shouldn't be too baggy. (shudders)