The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Mounting from the ground. help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/mounting-ground-help-80461/)

AngieLee 03-08-2011 05:28 PM

Mounting from the ground. help?

I can't mount from the ground. Its not that i dont know how, I simple cant get my leg to stretch enough to get my foot in the sturrup. even on short horses. Thats fine right now when i'm riding in the ring and have mounting blocks and such. but come Summer when we want to go on trial rides or to the beach... I need to know how to mount from the ground. incase theres nothing to mount from......

I was wondering if there were any stretches or anything i could do to help me along with this?

any Sugestions?

Thanks a Million :)

smrobs 03-08-2011 05:37 PM

Just your basic stretches to lengthen your hamstrings and limber up your hips and lower back should help immensely.
Hamstring Stretches - Exercises for Tight Hamstrings

Stretching for tight hamstrings

rosie1 03-08-2011 05:39 PM

Im sure any stretching you do will be benificial, I cant suggest anything in that area however as I took the slightly lazier route! What I did was lengthened my stirrup so I could reach it from the ground (and adjusted it back when I was in the saddle) and then shortened it a hole when that became confortable until I could do it from my normal length.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 03-08-2011 06:03 PM

Me Too! Can't do it to save my life. There are these mounting stirrup thingys you can buy. They fit into the stirrup and hang down and give you an extra 8 inches or so, then when you are up, you remove them and put them in your pocket.

In an English saddle, I can lower the stirrup to its' ulimatel lowest point, get up and then reraise it, but WesterN/ ?? I am up a creek if I ca'nt find a big log.

If a friend , who can mount more easily than I, will hold the off stirrup for me, I might be able to lierally "climb" the side of my horse. Can't feel good to the horse, though.

smrobs 03-08-2011 06:27 PM

I have an older friend that taught her horse to 'camp out' so that the stirrup would be closer to the ground for mounting. That might be something to think about too.

AngieLee 03-08-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 955282)
I have an older friend that taught her horse to 'camp out' so that the stirrup would be closer to the ground for mounting. That might be something to think about too.

what exactly is "camping out"

smrobs 03-08-2011 06:43 PM

Where you have them spread the front and back feet away from center...........it's also sometimes called 'parking out'.

Let me find a pic, I'm terrible at describing things like that LOL.
http://ox.equinenow.com/equine/data/photos/317136_1.jpg

AngieLee 03-08-2011 06:53 PM

ohhhh. how would I go about teaching him that?

smrobs 03-08-2011 06:59 PM

I can't help you there as I've never done it.

Though just through searching, I found a person who details how to teach your horse to bow for mounting.
Jodi Wilson - Train Horse To Bow

Dusty1228 03-08-2011 09:25 PM

I always wanted to teach my horses to bow for mounting. Not for any reason. I just like the way it looks and feels when they straighten up. Am I horrible?